Recovery/Restart

Itachi picked up his sword slowly, turning it over in his hands before strapping it on his back. The day he had been infinitely dreading was here. Time had run out, everything was set in motion, now it all came together. It was the last time he would see Sasuke for a long time, hopefully, not until he was ready for death. He hadn't said any parting words to Aster, and he was glad of it. The sound of his parents in their living room only intensified the apprehension building him. But there was no choice, the decision had been made long ago, and he'd had no part in it. Everything will slip away, only shattered pieces will remain... Our memories will fade into emptiness... Swallowing the tension in his throat, he took a hesitant step towards his bedroom door. It all ends now. I'm just sorry I'm never be able to tell them why... Taking a deep breath, Itachi pushed open the door and made his way to the room at the end of the hall. "Itachi, what are you doing with your anbu gear on?" His mother asked, still unsuspecting of what would happen next. Glaring at him, his father turned, looking him over. There was a thick silence as he unsheathed the sword. "I'm afraid the Akatsuki have other plans for the clan."

Sighing tiredly, Itachi laid a new damp cloth over Sasuke's forehead. It had taken several hours just to bandage both of their wounds, and Sasuke seemed to be suffering from some side effect of the memory seal Itachi had placed on him. He wondered if something during the fight had aggravated it, but pushed the thoughts away; it wouldn't matter much longer. Aster was right, things couldn't be left the way they were, the seal had to released.

Itachi was about ready to leave and check on Aster, who was still out cold in another room, when Sasuke stirred slightly. He turned, waiting to see if he woke up.

Sasuke opened his eyes slowly. His body was sore in places he hadn't dreamed had muscles. By all rights, he should have been dead. Maybe Aster killed me and I went to hell... As he breathed, he could feel the gauze wrappings around his wounds. Damn... It's itchy. To his surprise he could also feel a wet cloth on his forehead, and he seemed to be in a bed. What the hell? Am I still alive? Forcing his eyes open wider, he began to survey the room. Where in the hell am-! "Itachi!?"

Sasuke tried to spring up, but Itachi pinned him back down with his knee, trapping his arms behind his back. "You woke up rather quickly."

"I killed you!" Sasuke yelled, confused and infuriated.

"We can sort that out later," Itachi told him calmly. "Right now though, I need you to cooperate with me."

"Fuck you!" Sasuke was full on screaming now, fighting Itachi with everything in his weakened body.

"Stop struggling, you're going to injure yourself," Itachi growled, hesitant to be forceful with his still fragile brother.

"As if you actually give a damn!" he shouted, twisting his shoulders wildly in vain attempt to escape Itachi's hold.

Itachi froze for a second. "If I didn't give a damn... You'd be dead."

Sasuke stopped resisting, sinking into the mattress. "Maybe I'd rather be dead," he hissed.

Moving his knee up onto Sasuke's chest Itachi, pulled back. He couldn't take much more of this conversation, it was time to break the seal. "Sasuke," he paused, letting him focus on his coming words. "I know this goes against all common sense, but I need you not only to listen to me, but to trust me."

"Fuck you." Sasuke glared at him.

"I don't appreciate you using that language towards me." Itachi sighed, still uncertain about risking Sasuke with the release while he was frail from battle.

"Go to hell mother fucker," his brother scowled at him.

This is getting out of hand... "Just don't move." Forcing his decision, Itachi made the first seal in the series of hand signs.