Leaving Again

It was raining, Aster sat at the three graves. She stared hard at the first, wishing that these were the people Konoha had refused to give a memorial. There was only person here she mourned for. Even in the pounding rain, she could not tear her self away. She began to cry and clenched her fists as she thought of the fourth grave that should be here, but wasn't. If it wasn't for what he had said, she would have run away long ago. But now things were getting unbearable. Aster knew she would give in and leave soon. The touch on her shoulder was gentle, but firm. Aster turned to see Itachi standing behind her in the rain, also without any kind of umbrella. Embarrassed, she looked away to dry her eyes. He said nothing to her. Words were trivial and meaningless here at this point.

She followed Kakashi at a safe distance. It amazed her that he hadn't caught her yet. She wondered if she had really grown that much after running away from Konoha.

She didn't have to follow him long until he entered a room. She waited patiently, to make sure no one was going to leave the room. It struck her as slightly odd that no one was in the hallways, but she never questioned it.

Aster moved to the door and pressed her ear to the wall. She could barely hear, but she made out Kakashi's voice saying-"Mizukage"- in a hushed voice.

Even with the room's occupant's voices lowered, Aster could still hear some of what was said. She crouched outside the door, listening intently. The words wear muffled beyond recognition, but suddenly two words stood out, painfully clear. Kakashi's voice drifted to her with the sounds of 'Itachi' and 'Konoha.'

Her stomach lurched at the name of the Leaf Village, but she was suddenly filled with purpose. She dashed madly down the hall.

The Mist Village anbu in the room flung the door as they heard Aster running down the hall. The almost gave way to chase, but the Mizukage stopped them. He wasn't exactly sure why, but he felt he should let her go.

Aster ran, pushing aside the villagers and diving wildly out of the way of passing vendors. People cried angrily as she dashed by, but she was oblivious to them all.

The name of him had always been Itachi Uchiha. She had been searching for him without knowing it for the last five years. That was what the dream had really been about. Now she felt that she knew her purpose. All the training and lies had come to this. She was going back to Konoha.

The world was spinning, but she couldn't stop. She got only so far before her legs buckled, despite her efforts. She could barely breathe, and her body ached to no end already. She kneeled on the ground, unable to stand.

She looked up at the patch of sky showing through the canopy. She felt the warmth of tears in her eyes. Can I go no farther? Am I really this weak? She had hoped to have left these thoughts behind in Konoha. But it seemed that even heading in the general direction of the village brought them back.

Eventually, the strength began to come back into her legs. Impatient and anxious, she stood shakily. She had no idea how long he might linger in their home village, but she couldn't let him leave before she caught him. No longer would she be left behind.

Surely she was strong enough to keep up with him now. But now she doubted herself after stumbling. How much had she really grown? The question haunted her. Frightened, she ignored it and continued on. Her weak legs carried her slowly. It was already her second day gone again, and she hadn't even reached a rest stop village.

Finally, she came to a large market city. People stared from the corners of their eyes as she walked by. She could hardly stand, and looked beaten. Aster felt detached from her own body as she finally entered a hotel.

The woman behind the desk stared at her,"Would you like a room?" She asked, suspicious of the way Aster looked.

"Um, y-yes..." she stuttered. Fatigue was taking its toll. She tried in vain to stand on her own, but was forced to lean on the receptionist's desk. Suddenly the world began to spin. Vaguely she saw a man with long white hair and a boy with blonde hair rush to catch her as she fell.