To Train

Itachi and Shusui stood by the river. They were supposed to be at the anbu meeting, but Shusui had insisted that they skip it, not that Itachi had needed much persuasion. "Do it." Shusui was firm and cold in his command. Itachi pleaded with him, "Is there really no other way? Why can't it be the other way around? I can't do this." His brother-like friend was cold toward him, "You have no choice. You have more potential than I. You can master the mangekyo quickly, where it might take me a lifetime." Itachi began to tremble slightly as he took out a kunai knife. In the back of his mind he was amazed at how calm Shusui was when he asked Itachi to kill him. He wondered if Shusui understood that he could not come back from the dead. He wanted to be stronger like him. Itachi made a vow to become like him one day. "Put that away," Shusui ordered, surprising Itachi. "But-" he began. "It has to look like suicide. That's why we're beside the river." Itachi's breath caught in his chest, as he wondered how long he had planned his own death. They looked at each other for awhile. Finally Shusui spoke to him in the warm way he was used to, "Itachi-chan.. I thought you were stronger than this. You must do what needs to be done. If you don't, Sasuke is lost to us." Itachi was infuriated by what he said. "You want me to trade one brother for another?" he yelled. Shusui seemed unphased. "Am I truly your brother?" Itachi stopped, stunned. "I won't do it." Shusui grabbed the collar of his shirt and one of Itachi's wrists. He brought Itachi's hand to his neck and pulled Itachi toward him by the oversized neck of the shirt. Shusui had seen this coming. He wasn't sure why, but he was ready to die. He had planned for this scenario too. "Itachi, "he breathed in his ear. "If you don't kill me, I'll kill you and obtain it." With that, Shusui began to wrap his fingers around Itachi's neck. Itachi's years of training kicked in as reflex, and Shusui never stood a chance by that river.

Aster hung her head in disbelief as Itachi turned the door handle.

"You're really serious? Cleaning?" she asked one last time.

"Nobody has been here for a while," he explained tiredly. "It's going to be filthy. We have to clean." He glanced at her sideways, "Unless you want to sleep outside."

"Fine.." Aster grumbled.

The door was surprisingly quiet for something that wasn't supposed to have been used in a while. They stepped inside, looking around curiously.

"It's already clean!" Aster cried in a strangled way. "Why did you screw with me like that?"

Itachi seemed to ignore her as he gazed around the small space that bled into a dining room. Finally he answered her, "It shouldn't be this clean. Something's wrong."

Footsteps in the hallway to their right became pronounced and they both turned quickly. Itachi prepared to battle whoever was coming as Aster waited in a fearful silence. When the tension had become it's thickest, Kisame appeared around the corner.

Aster gasped. "YOU!" she shrieked. She reached for her sword instinctively. She didn't need to think at this point. The want to kill him had become an automatic feeling, no longer requiring her memories. Her hand groped her bare shoulder in vain. Then with a horrified intake of air, she realized that she had broken her sword in their last fight.

"Hn. Back again?" he said mockingly as he raised his sword. Aster stood helplessly paralyzed by her fear. "I'm glad," he continued, sneering. "I don't like to leave things unfinished."

Kisame brought the gargantuan weapon down full-force. Both Aster and Kisame stared in shocked of what they saw. Itachi moved in the way, blocking the strike with a kunai in one hand. Aster's heart jumped into her throat and then sank into her stomach. Kisame smiled and chuckled as he looked down on them. How classic. He thought. Itachi glared at him while Aster cowered behind his back, unsure of what to make of the sudden turn of events. She's really thick not to see it. Even though he'll never say it, he cares for her. Kisame grinned maliciously again. He knew how he would use this newfound information.