Chapter Ten: Hidden

Alazne

“I am drawing the line at eyeliner.” Josh stood up from his seat, drawing his hands towards the makeup artist, Louisa. She was also our trainer, she was meant to walk us through the whole situation.

“Seriously, Josh? You have the guts to wrap yourself in toilet paper and do the Egyptian dance at the museum’s premier of the Egypt exhibit but you’re afraid of a little makeup?” The lady spat, running her hand through her cropped grey hair. She pushed her glasses up her hair and pinched her bridge of her nose.

“Are you really going to hold that against me?” he told her and sat down on the stool again. He pointed at his new look, dark locks fell down and he wore a pair of glasses. I had to admit, he still looked cute with the new makeover.

“I can hold a lot of your moments against you. Now sit back down so we can finish up.” He pursed his lips and sat back down.“Look upward,” she told him. He followed through, and she led it up to the tips of his eyes and down. His long lashes fluttered a bit from the pressure.

“I swear that I am going to go blind.”

“That’ll only happen if I stab you in the eye, Hon. Which I might do if your keep whining your pretty little face off.” Her accent made me smile a bit. I had no idea why I even came here; this was about Josh as always. Even when I was a victim, the local news only mentioned him repeatedly, while I got two measly sentences. Which I guess is kind of good due to the situation however, it still hurt. That’s what I got being a wallflower and all.

“So what were you two lovebirds doing when you were kidnapped? Don’t worry I won’t spill.”

“We aren’t lovebirds,” I said coldly, before Josh could make up something that would give her the wrong idea.

“We are friends with benefit.” A smile grew on his face.

“No.” My face scorched up. “W-we are nothing like that.” Can we just drop it? The lady chuckled, and began to tidy her items.

“Now, Josh do you remember your traits?”

“Hmm? For what?”

“You had a new identity which included look, personal information and personality. Who is Reynard Scott?”

“Reynard…Oh! That’s me. Uhh, his nickname is Ryan?”

“Thank heaven’s today is a trail period or you’d be dead already. Now you are Reynard. Reynard is seventeen, was born and raised in England…what else?”

“He has no siblings, and…he is an orphan?”

“Very good, and who is Alana to him?”

“She’s his friend.” He snapped his finger; a smile crept on his face.

“Hardly. She is Reynard’s love interest. Joshua’s face turned a bit red.

“What?”

“Why else would Reynard be around her?”

“I don’t know…can’t they just be friends?”

“Hon, no best friend is just friends. One will have higher feelings for the other or maybe even mutual. Haven’t you read any teen romance books?”

“Sara and I are best friends—there is no other connection than that.” Hearing him say that made me somewhat feel relieve.

“Well in Reynard’s case, he likes Alana.”

“Wait? Does Alana like him back?” I blurted out, meekly. My heart pounded in my chest while I waited for an answer. Were they a couple?