Chapter Seven: The Dance

Thank you KillyCares123 for the cover. Check it out in the photo/multimedia section down below. :)

Alazne

If it wasn’t for the techno music and the heat produced by the crowd grinding on one another, I might have actually enjoyed it.Taking another gulp of my soda from my cup, I observed the crowd.

Even with the light blaring, I could make out the shapes of the booty shorts the girl’s wore and the guy’s arms snaked around their waist. A group of them were fist-pumping to the beat—that seemed to be all they did. I snorted and took another sip of my drink. I was leaning on the rail, surrounding the dance floor. I was one of those wane-be wishing I could be brave enough to dance, but dancing wasn’t me thing. If I started to dance with them, half of the people would stop and stare at my awkward movements—wait. I take that back. They won’t even notice me even if I fell over drunk. I’d probably just get trampled over like an annoying piece of gum.

I shuddered. I couldn’t wait for the night to be over.Someone was saying that the dance had just started—I’ve already been here for two hours you’d think the party was over by now. The school dances at a banquet hall was till eleven and I was on the dance crew which made me stay an extra hour.

The thing about the dances at my school was, for safety purposes, once you leave you can’t come back. Which meant either I stay at the dance or be called a ditcher. Serves me right to be on the committee. Exhaling, I pressing my forehead on the cold rail.

“Having fun, Alana?” a voice asked. Lifting my head, my eyes widened.

“Y-yeah,” I stuttered, brushing a hair out of my face.Turning around I met the face of Lulu, my school librarian. “You?” I cleared my throat and reciprocated her warm smile.

“Like any other dances,” she answered. “Is this dance not entertaining you?”

“It is,” I said a bit too loud for my liking, though I think the loud music mumbled my voice since Lulu furrowed her brows and she leant forward. I repeated my words a bit louder. “It is. I’m just trying to figure out what I homework that I was assigned today.”

“You have a whole weekend to figure that out,” she bellowed. “Now. Relax and enjoy the dance. I’m not here to supervise students who can’t enjoy themselves; I’m here to supervise kids having fun. This isn’t detention.”

“I’ll try.” I faked enthusiasm and rushed by her. I hated when people did that. Sure. They might have my best interest at heart but I doubt insulting me in the process would do any justice.

I paced down the hallway of the building. The washroom was down the aisle. My head was pounding along with the music beats. I pushed back my spectacles up the bridge of my nose in discomfort by the silence.

“Hurry up. Someone is coming,” a person hissed off from the far distance. There were two hallways separating at the end of the aisle. Judging from the how the voice echoed…it was from the right one.

My pace quickened at the sound of rustling, my fist clenched at my side. They shouldn’t be wondering around. It was a privilege to even have this dance. They shouldn’t be taking advantage of this. Aren’t they aware of how many people worked hard to make this dance possible and how easily the dance could disappear? The right side of my lip lifted a bit as if to form a snarl. I didn’t even want to be at the dance.

A large bang! bounced upon the walls. I snorted. You got to be kidding me, at least you could do was run since…you would probably mock me. Realisation hit me at my anger and I slowed down my stride. What was I doing—thinking?