Chapter Twenty-Six: the Wallflower's Problem

May

          Chapter Twenty-Six:  the Wallflower’s Problem

Alazne

“Fine, let’s go with your idea,” Libby exhaled loudly, dropping the sharpie on the lunch room table. “It doesn’t matter to me anyway.”

The first round of The Battle was taking place in the school cafeteria during lunch time. The object was to make the team's name, shirt and chant.

“Says the girl who has been brainstorming for the last five minutes,” Leah added, rolling her eyes.

It was The Battle meeting in the cafeteria—designing the team’s t-shirt was the first of the three challenges.

“Well you can’t blame me for wanting to win,” Libby snapped. “Alana what do you think is better: the M-Poppers or The Swaggers-Hashtag?”

I shrugged at both. “M-Poppers sounds good.”

“Oh Please. It sounds like a penguin through up on Broadway.” Libby crossed her arms over her chest.

“Mary Poppins is awesome.”

“The musical is…but for a team name?”

Libby tsked, and fell back onto her chair. “I thought this is supposed to be fun. If I wanted stress at lunch I would’ve just done my Bio homework.”

“Same here,” I laughed. Spending a whole lunch hour with Libby and her friends kind of gave me a new impression of them. I always figured Libby to be mean and ignorant after what she had done to be for the Valentine’s dance, but seeing how childish she is…was nice. She always seemed to bring a smile on someone’s face.

“I’d suggest ‘Your Makers’ but that’s already taken.” Josh slid into the bench, and curled his fingers together with mine under the table. His fingers creased my knuckles in a soothing gesture.

I glanced down at the table, trying not too loose my composure.  As far as I knew, no one really knew about our relationship. Not because it was a secret one, but rather we just didn’t tell anyone.

Josh didn’t really talk about his personal life to others, but remained a carefree guy in most people’s eyes. A guy with a priceless smile.

The more I hung out with him, the more I discovered things about him. There is definitely more to Josh than his pranks or smiles or looks.

I wonder if they noticed by now or not, I thought. 

“Nice one, Josh. But ‘Your Makers’, really?” Marjorie smirked in his direction. She was resting her head on her arm.

“I think it’s cool,” Josh answered before turning towards me. “I’m going off for lunch. You want anything?”

“Uhh…not that I can think of,” I murmured, feeling their gaze on me.  I shifted a bit, edging away from Josh. Josh’s grip tightened around mine in response.

I truly hoped at that moment that he didn’t notice how sweaty my palms were— “Fries,” I spat out loud. “That sounds good.”

A smile cracked on Josh’s face and like an adorable puppy he leaped up from his seat. “Then I’ll be right back,” he promised.

“What was that? Was that flirting or…” Libby trailed off, waggling her brows in a playful manner. My cheeks heated up at her tone. I wasn’t used to that kind of attention—I wasn’t used to any. That’s part of the reason why I didn’t tell anyone that Josh and I were dating. I had no one to tell.