Chapter Twenty-Four: Kisses and Jaw Breakers

Ps. Also check out the song on the side by The News Kids on the Block, it's called Remix (I like the). The reason why I'm pointing it out is because it has a wallflwoer reference which I though fitted this story really well and it's really catchy in general. ^.^

_____________________________________________________

                                              Alazne

I bit my tongue, holding back the unwanted feelings.  I had an urge to stand up and to tell them stop it— To stop being around Josh and flirting with him.  Even at the thought, my heart began to pound in my chest.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw a girl slip on a cat ear headband on his head, her fingers running along his golden hair. “Your hair is so silky,” she gushed, her smile widening.

          Josh just laughed. His fingers were occupied on the desk. A couple of girls were painting his nails, preparing for their drama presentation. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop but apparently Josh was playing a role of a transgendered girl.

          Geography was the only class I had with Josh now. When he left, a majority of his classes got mixed up since someone else took his spot in the IB classes. Though from the rumors that have been going around, his family is working on getting him back in the program and regain his regular schedule before the mishap. Like nothing ever happened.  

          I, even though I barely spoke with Josh after the dinner, felt a comfort of being in the same room as him. It was similar to the security of knowing that Josh and had a connection that none could compare with. Still I was probably the only of us thinking like that. Joshua Grey most likely assumed nothing of me or the whole situation and who would blame him?

He was the infamous prankster that brought smile to faces and joy wherever he went. He had a grin that could make you forget who you were, and a charismatic personality that made you feel like somebody important.

“I was beginning to think you moved,” Libby bit on the bottom of her pen as she fiddled with her pencil case.   “But since your back, that kind of shoots down that rumor, eh? so where were you?”

 It took me a while to register what she was talking about. I didn’t expect people to take notice of my absence, just Josh’s. When Josh returned, the class might as well have thrown a part. In fact, I suppose they kind of started a party because a couple of kids began trading their snacks around the room and the teacher started a movie and claimed that it was a free period. 

I shrugged. “I got sick.”

Libby gave me a cynical look, her lips angled to the right. “At the same time as Josh?” She lifted her hands and did air-quotes. “And coincidently return at the same day as Josh.”

“Yes,” I lied, peering down my Science worksheet. I was trying to get some work done since I had nothing better to do. I wasn’t really behind since I did it at the last school.

“You know, if you are interested you can join the battle.” I looked up, a blank stare on my face. Battle? Libby exhaled, leaning on her chair, saying, “Piper broke her leg so we are short a teammate.”

The Battle was an annual festival-like theme at the school with several of activities from the egg race to trivia. Honestly, I would’ve jumped at the chance of joining in with her offer though I knew better than to accept her kindness now.

 My eyes hardened, and I cleared my throat. “I’m terrible at sports and I’m not that smart.”

“Well you are definitely modest,” she stated, her lips in a thin line. “You sure?”