Chapter 27: Life-Threatening Mistakes are Not OK!

Chapter 27

Music Choice: Team - Lorde

Dani, Ash and Julian were just walking in the woods, discussing random issues. Problems in the Accords, human politics, and other “great” discussion-worthy topics. Suddenly Ash heard a sound, like crashing branches to his left. A few seconds later, Dani heard similar sounds to her right.

“I’m gonna check on it, OK?” Ash said. Julian insisted on coming with him. Ash had his dagger ready, preparing for the worst.

All of a sudden, a towel soaked with a distinct-smelling liquid came towards Asher’s face. All Ash could think was Do. Not. Breathe. But his body finally gave in to the lack of oxygen, inhaling the chloroform. He slowly began losing consciousness.

“Ash, you OK?” Dani called out, he could hear Dani slicing her sword through the air.

And everything disappeared into the darkness that had succumbed him.

Ash and Dani soon awoke, only to find themselves tied to different trees, facing each other. Dani could hear the Holy Water falling from its vial, as the Circle was being drawn.

“Ash, we were so wrong.” Dani whispered to him. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be. Dani, listen we all make mistakes.”

“Life-threatening mistakes are not OK!” Dani hissed.

“Oh, will you two lovebirds shut up?” Julian said. Ash and Dani didn’t utter another word. They continued to struggle with their bindings, to no avail. “Cretins, the bindings are Enchanted.”

“But only Powers can do Enchantments.” Dani answered, confused. Julian? Seriously? He was the killer?

“Some Cherubim can as well. Why don’t you ask me some questions? I’m bored. And seeing as you’re going to die anyways, I might as well give you some answers.”

“Why the woods?” Ash asked.

“My last name, DuBois, means ‘from the woods’. My family and I, we were more our true selves in the woods than anywhere else. Anything else?”

“Why? Why kill Angels? Is it vengeance?” Dani asked. She needed answers. Dani needed a motive. Julian just seemed so innocent and naïve.

“Most vengeance is not righteous. No, I seek retribution!” Julian voice bellowed through the woods. “Retribution for the pain the ArchAngels caused me. When I was human, I lived in France, a small village no one knew the name of. I was set to be married to my love, Maria. Before I could marry her, I was killed by my father when he was drunk. He lost control. I became an Angel instantaneously. I was a righteous death, and therefore a righteous Angel.”

“I would continue speaking with Maria. She couldn’t stand a life without me, so she committed suicide to join me. And she would have joined me, if it wasn’t for those damned ArchAngels. Suicide is not a righteous death; Maria chose to die, believing she lived a life on Earth fulfilled. Therefore, according to the ArchAngels, she could not become an Angel. In fact, she would be denounced to Hell for 10 years. Then become a citizen of Heaven.” Julian paused, looking up at the stars, his eyes filled with tears. Although suicide is a tragedy in and of itself, Maria died thinking her life on Earth was lived to the fullest. This ties the hands of the ArchAngels, the law binding them to only grant Angelship to those who had not lived to achieve their full potential.

“Maria should’ve been an Angel! Maria was supposed to join me! She had the same right to Angelship as any other! She was a Human that lived a life of suffering!” His anger voiced, echoing through the woods.”

“Seeing all those happy Angelic couples, loving each other, being able to stay together forever? It’s not fair! So they became my targets. Why should they have love when I could not? They were torturing me, causing many emotional scars. My life became a living hell. Until I found meaning. I started killing them off, the girl in front of her partner, her ‘soul mate’. And my purpose? To force the ArchAngels to give me back my Maria. I won’t stop with these deaths until I get her back.”

“Many say ‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.’ They should’ve added ‘and man’.” Julian finally took a breath. His eyes were bloodshot, his gold irises soon overtaken with the ominous black that showed for Fallen Angels. “So, Danielle. You’re the first sacrifice.”

Julian levitated her up and then attached her to the post in the center of the Holy Circle. “Nec Salvari Se Putet.” He muttered. Dani immediately translated the Latin Enchantment. No escape.  Dani was bound and tied, with no way to free herself. It was like her horrifying dream became a terrifying reality.

Dani saw Ash struggling to free himself, trying to stop Julian from hurting Dani. I love her. I need her. How would I move on? She changed my life forever. “Let her go! She did nothing to you!” Ash finally yelled at Julian.

“No. I need you two to continue. The ArchAngels will listen to me now. I will have killed two more, and by tomorrow, another couple shall die. That’s 8 dead Angels in all by the day after tomorrow. It’s an unfortunate circle of life, Asher.” Julian snickered.

Asher continued to struggle, muttering profanities towards Julian, while Julian simply stood there with a smirk. Seeing Ash struggling, Dani realized she never told him the one thing she always wanted to say. After tonight, she may never get this chance again.

“Ash…” Dani called out to him. Ash lifted his head to look up at her. “I love you Ash. I love you more than anything. I’ve known since after you brought me to my House, to my flight. And no matter how hard I tried, all my thoughts would end up back to you. You’ve empowered me, made me stronger. Trust me, Ash, I never thought I would, but I fell for you. Hard. And I don’t want to stop.” Her innermost feelings were finally revealed. And the most remarkable thing happened next.

Fire erupted from Dani hands, burning through the Enchanted ropes that bound her. Dani had freed herself. Her body crumpling to the hard floor, the crunching of leaves underneath her could be heard clearly.

“Impossible.” Julian whispered, facing the sound. “An Elementorum.” Dani had discovered a new gift. A rare one. She had the ability to control the four basic elements, Aer (Air), Ignis (Fire), Terra (Earth), and Aqua (Water). Julian began to run, realizing that Dani could overpower him easily.

An Elementorum never had to experience the pain of Holy Water, and thus no Angel ever realized that Holy Water had no effect on an Elementorum. Elemontorums were, at heart, purely good. They would never commit an unrighteous crime, let alone one that would require death by Holy Fire. She was as strong as she would’ve been without the Holy Water.

Instincts finally kicking in, Dani breathed in, whispering, “Aer.” Her extensive Latin lessons with Zeke were finally paying off. Bringing up a huge wall of wind in front of her, and sent it over her head, towards Julian as he ran. The wall would delay Julian, but it wouldn’t stop him.

Dani rushed through the circle, towards Ash.

“How did you do that?” Ash asked, awestruck.

“Your guess is as good as mine. But I guess I have a new power.” Dani smiled, burning through the ropes that bound Ash. The pair bolted right after Julian, hoping to catch him before he teleported out.