Chapter 24: The Single Life

Chapter 24

Music Choice: Without You Ft. Usher - David Guetta

The pair walked back inside, fingers intertwined. Ash had never felt this happy. Ever. It was like all he wanted was to be with her. With Dani. She was just so unique, so special. Ash had never been this elated by someone or something. He felt like his heartbeat was going over 200 miles a minute.

“We should check and see what Alex dug up.” Dani whispered, her smile unbreakable.

“Now?” Ash groaned. He wanted to stay with her. Alone and undisturbed. He wanted Dani all to himself. He stopped where he stood, and pulled her close. “Do we really?” Ash whispered, resting his forhead on hers.

“Yes, we do, Ash.” Dani breathed. Her heartbeat accelerating, wanting to spend as much time possible with him. But she had a job to do, and so did he. Dani pulled him on, leading him to Alex’s Training Facility.

The couple walked in, completely blissful. Alex looked up from her laptop, and tapped her ring finger’s nail, as a holographic wall appeared with movable information, like an upright desk. It was Alex’s latest invention the Nail Chip. The chip allowed Alex to access any and all information she wanted anywhere she wanted. She could research whatever wherever. Gives new meaning to the phrase “chipped nail”.  Benji was sitting right across from her, laughing at the happy couple.

“Look at these honeymooners.” Benji chuckled, trying to focus on his research.

“Jealous?” Ash muttered, nuzzling his nose into Dani’s cheek, making her blush.

“Nah, the single life is the best life.” Benji winked. Alex had put her laptop aside and brought a few papers to her lap.

“You were right, Dani. Aidan and Henry aren’t who they seem.” Alex beckoned to Dani and Ash. They came up to Alex, and Alex spread the papers across one of her work tables. “Henry Castalonos. Nephilim, about 145 Angelic years, but no recorded birth certificate on Earth or in the Angelic Database. Known for constant communication with Fallen Angels and Citizens of Hell. Was once an executioner for the ArchAngels, when they still used Holy Fire as a method of execution.”

“Did he ever speak against Holy Fire?” Dani questioned. That’s what he had said. He had spoken against it, and that’s why he was sent to Hell. And no one trusted him ever since.

“No, in fact, he was one of the supporters of continuing the use of Holy Fire as a method of execution. That was why he was sent to Hell. He still hangs around Fallens. That’s why no one trusts him.” Alex answered. Dani’s mouth dropped. How easily people could lie truly annoyed her. She nodded to Benji, curious about the lies Aidan had told.

“Aidan Mallard.” Benji began. “Power Angel, registered Telekinetic. Known ties to the radical group Omnia Mutantur. Has even led multiple rampages against the human race. Led the burning of many Italian villages near the Vatican. Was a Fallen Angel, released only… last year.”

“Last year?” Ash asked. Dani was so surprised to have been that close to someone who could have caused her so much harm. Her arm snaked around Ash’s as she looked up at him and smiled, his perfectly defined jawline, his sapphire eyes, and those impeccable eyelashes. Asher looked down at her as a smile crept across his face. He was thrilled that the reason Dani smiled was because of him.

“Yeah, the more we dig into Aidan Mallard’s past, and his current record, the more likely he was the one behind it. We just don’t have a motive.” Alex answered,

“Or a murder weapon.” Dani added, tearing her eyes off Asher, to focus on the task. “Maybe we should go to the woods in New York, see if we can find where our killer did his thing or some sort of evidence.”