Chapter 7: Round 2

Chapter 7

Music Choice: Up in the Air- 30 Seconds to Mars

They walked about 20 feet down from Marco’s Training Facility to Jo’s. Jo was the Flight’s nickname for Jonathan. Since he was a Power, his TF was filled with weapons like swords, bows and arrows, throwing knives, daggers, punch dummies, and even weapons made out of commonplace things. For example, a rock that was cut to become an effective pocketknife or twigs and branches that can be used to block your opponents attack. There were multiple sparring mats, one of which was taken by Drew and Jonathan, both using hand-to-hand combat. Jonathan was offensive as Drew was effectively blocking all of Jo’s moves.

“Nice technique, Drew, but sharpen how your elbow moves, make your moves crisper.” Asher said, taking Drew’s place on the sparring mat. Drew looked surprised and somewhat annoyed by Asher’s arrogance, which made Dani smile. Drew was usually a very relaxed person, so to see someone that actually irritated him was a nice change. Ash nodded to Jo, allowing him to start. Jo began simple, with basic offensive hand maneuvers. Then he became a little more complex. Ash began feeling a bit more cocky as his skills began to clearly show. Jo had started to get aggravated himself, and finally swept his leg underneath Asher’s stance, making him fall on his back. Dani’s hand went to her mouth, attempting to stifle her laughter, as Drew smirked down at him.

“Rule number one, don’t be arrogant, your opponent can and will use that against you.” Jo snickered. “God, Dani, where’d you find this guy?” All Dani could do was chuckle lightly.

“I just-I just thought it was hand-to-hand combat.” Asher stammered, as Dani helped him up. Dani was smiling from ear to ear. Poor Angel.

“Never think that Jo is gonna play fair. He may be a great fighter, but you got to play dirty to win.” Dani told him, pushing Asher’s hair out of his eyes. His eyes were just so beautiful.

“So, why are you two in here?” Drew asked. Dani and Asher began to fill them in on all the information so far. About the cause and time of death, the first victim’s struggle, and how the victims were killed, although they were still searching for a more precise explanation. Dani even included how the Angelic tattoo was still present.

“The branding part is what freaks me out.” Jo said. “This guy is seriously sadistic if he wants all the Angels to start to feel paranoid.”

“Uh, Jo, do you even know what the word ‘sadistic’ means?” Dani asked, earning a death glare from Jonathan.

“I actually do, Dani. I’m not that dumb, Zeke has been tutoring me. How will I make Commander if I don’t know some big words?” It was Jo’s dream to become the leading Commander of the Angelic Army, and with his skills, the rest of the Flight wouldn’t be surprised if he did become just that. Jo was exceptionally skilled, even when he was human, he was a commanding general.  Dani loved to annoy Jo so much about how he wasn’t the brightest Angel in the Realm, but he was quickly disproving her, trying to learn enough information to pass the entrance exam for the Angelic Army.

“All right, well that’s all we really wanted to tell you, even though watching Asher here get his ass kicked was an enjoyable surprise.” Dani said, grabbing onto Asher’s arm, before he said anything. He looked down at her.

“Was I really that bad?” Ash asked.

“No… you were worse.” Dani laughed. Ash just smirked at her, his eyebrows raised, as if he wanted to challenge her again. “Do you really want to go over this again?” Ash nodded, tossing her a sword as he grabbed one himself. Drew and Jo took their place to the side of a mat; Drew sat on a stool, as Jo stood straight.

“Let’s make this interesting, OK? For every time you touch me with the sword, you get to ask me a question. And the same for me. And the only questions that are off limits are any about your Story. Whoever gets to ask the third question, wins.”

“Deal.” Dani only had a sword she was unfamiliar with, since she left hers in Marco’s TF. But she was confident in herself, and was very interested in trying to discover more about Ash. Drew and Jonathan stood close by to watch. “Drew, call it.”

“And, GO!” Drew shouted. They began circling each other again. Dani heard a step, and lunged, only to find her sword hitting the mat, Ash had somersaulted to his left. He was behind her, his sword digging into her back.

“My question: Who was your first crush?”

“What kind of a question is that?”

“I thought we had a deal, Danielle.” Dani flinched being called her full name.

“He was from grade school; I think his name was Joshua.”

“He probably doesn’t even compare to me.” Asher smirked. He was right though. Joshua was a quiet, shy kid, but with a charming personality. Asher was the complete opposite, loud and outgoing, with an annoying attitude. Asher removed the sword from her back and moved in front of her again. This time Dani didn’t miss. She managed a perfect nick on the shoulder.

“My question: What’s your last name?” The question had been gnawing at Dani for a while.

“Collins. Asher Collins. Why? You want to see if it’s compatible with your name? I think Danielle Collins is a very pretty name.” Asher was getting arrogant. Dani’s heart rate accelerated, feeling her blood rush through her veins.

“Not your turn to ask a question.” Dani said, as she straightened her back and cracked her neck. Her body was beginning to stiffen up from the lack of stretching. She closed her eyes for two seconds and she feels a sharp jab in her leg. Ash was sprawled on the floor, his sword touching her leg. Damn, I need to stop being so cocky.

“Now it is. Answer my question, why did you ask my last name?”

“I wanted Alex to conduct a background check on you. I don’t trust you.” Dani answered in all sincerity. Drew and Jo chuckled, as Ash took the major blow to his ego. Asher could tell he didn’t sit well with Dani, but that was going to change soon enough. Dani stood, proud of herself, only to go slamming to the ground. Ash had the sword to her neck, smiling. He was on top of her, practically straddling her, his face only breaths away from hers.

“Third question: Do you like me?” Crap. Dani had no idea how to worm her way out of this question.

“At first, I thought you were just another cocky guy.” Dani said.

“And now?”

 “I still don’t particularly like you.” Drew and Jo roared with laughter as Ash pushed a loose strand of her hair behind her ear. He whispered into Dani’s ear, something only she could hear. He slowly moved his arm away and gave her a hand up as he put the swords away, happy he won.

What he whispered into Dani’s ear shocked her.

“You’re lying.”

AN: So... what about that Dasher moment? Cute or nah? And do you guys like these fight scenes? Retaliation is going to be full of them, especially because Dani is so strong with combat. But her feelings tend to get in the way of her sword. ;)

Again, Casting directors!! I could use some help finding matches, so please message me, or comment and let me know!! 

Bear hugs to my readers, and scroll that mouse/move that finger to hit the vote button, comment, and follow! 

See you soon, loves!