Chapter 11: Don't Shoot the Messenger

Chapter 11

Music Choice: Raise Your Hands - Ummet Ozcan

Dani was opening up her shield from her bracelet, as she was getting ready for the fight in Paige’s room. Dani’s shield was created by Alex, made into the form of a simple charm on her bracelet. When Dani twisted the charm three times, the shield would burst out, still somewhat attached to the bracelet.  The charm and the actual shield were almost identical; both golden with intricate designs.

Paige’s Training Facility was like a library, shelves upon shelves of books and scrolls. A single red wooden desk and a comfortable desk chair sat in the middle of the room. It reminded Dani of Zeke’s Training Facility back at her House.

“So you’re really doing this?” Paige asked. She looked despairingly at Dani; worried about possible injuries Hazel would have to heal. Paige was playing with her curly black hair, twirling it around her finger.

“Yeah, she doesn’t scare me.” Dani answered, focused on her shield, as she wiped it clean, and admired its newfound shine. Dani tied her hair back into a sleek high ponytail.

“You should know, Violet has some abilities that help her on the battlefield.” Paige said, getting up to help Dani adjust her shield.

“What abilities?” Dani asked, suddenly curious. If she can camouflage, that shouldn’t be a problem.

“She can read minds and thoughts. She knows what you’re going to do as soon as you think it. That’s how she wins.” Paige informed.

“A Telepath. Well, that’s gonna make things difficult, but not impossible.” Dani said confident, as she withdrew her sword.

“Also, Violet doesn’t battle with a sword.”

“Then what does she battle with?” Dani asked, immediately think she would use throwing knives. It seemed more Violet’s style.

“A bow and arrow.”

“Shit.” Dani muttered. Bows and arrow combat is difficult to defend against. They are fast, and if that’s the opponent’s weapon of choice, they must be good with it. “I’m just gonna have to deal with it. I got myself into it.” Dani then slashed her sword through the air so fast, that all she could see was a blur of silver.

“This blows. You were the first girl Ash brought home that I actually liked.” Paige answered, shocking even herself. All the girls Ash normally brought back to the House were airheads. Danielle was actually bright. And that was why Paige approved. A girl has to be able to think for herself.

“Violet, please think about what you’re doing.” Asher pleaded. Ash and Violet were talking in her Training Facility. Asher was begging Vi to change her mind.

“Calm down, Ash, I’m just giving this girl a proper welcome.” Vi said, pulling her bow out of her quiver.

“She’s different.” Asher said, surprising Violet.

“What’s so different about her, Ash? Is she smarter? Doubt it. Is she prettier? Please. The only thing that shocks me is that she actually beat you and she isn’t the size of a gorilla.” Violet responded, pulling the bow back with her silver-tipped arrow.

“Vi, just please go easy on her.” Dani was prettier, smarter than anybody Ash had ever met. And he really cared about her. More than anything. Because she gave him something to try and earn. It was really unusual for a girl to deny him, let alone flat-out hate him. That trait made Dani unique, made her special.

“I never go easy on anyone.” Violet said, releasing the bow, the arrows hitting the bulls-eye on her first try.

Dani and Violet entered the circular field facing each other this time, since they knew who their opponent would be. The field was in the House’s backyard. It felt like spring, a little warm, but not intolerable.