Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-Seven

A week flew by without me even realizing it. All the training I had been doing with my dad had consumed me, leaving me hardly any time to even think about Landon. Except for those few brief moments at night when I lay in bed before exhaustion swept me away. Tears of anguish turned into tears of rage for Blake and what he had done to Landon and I. Blake hadn’t shown his face lately either and that was one bright point in all of this. I hoped he didn’t know about my training so that I could take him by surprise when the time came.

“Kara, I think you are at least ready to stake a vampire,” my dad said to me when I came down for breakfast.

“You really think so?”

“I do,” he said, nodding his head.

I sat down hard at the table. I knew I wanted to stake Blake, but reality was starting to sink in. I had to keep reminding myself that if I wanted to be with Landon, this was the only way.

“Do you think I should contact Blake then?” I asked.

“If you think you are ready to, then I think the sooner you get it over with the better. I just wish I could help you,” my dad replied.

I reached across the table and squeezed my dad’s hand.

“I know dad.”

My mother walked into the kitchen. She had been avoiding the whole situation since I told my parents about Blake. I think she is in denial. My dad gave me a squeeze back and got up, giving my mom a peck on the cheek and walked out of the room.

I got up to follow him, but my mother stopped me with a wave of her hand.

“Kara, I know that no matter how I feel about this whole situation you have with that vampire, I still want you to be careful,” she said and walked out of the room.

I guess that was the closest thing I was going to get as a good luck wish from my mom. The only problem was it was making me more nervous. I had to keep my resolve strong and pictured Landon in my mind. The next thing to do was to find a way to contact Blake. I had to figure out if he was still staying at Landon’s apartment or if Landon had given him the boot. There was always the possibility of the cabin, but I didn’t know its location. I sighed, knowing I would have to try Landon’s first.

I went upstairs and picked out something to wear that would allow me to move freely if I found an opportunity to stake Blake. Also making sure I looked good, because I knew there was a chance I would see Landon as well.

I had to borrow my dad’s car again, but this time I asked. The whole drive I went over in my head what I was going to say to Landon, when I knew full well I should be thinking of what I would say to Blake. I had to try and get Blake alone, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to stake him in front of Landon. It was his cousin after all.

When I got to the apartment building I parked the car in the same spot I had last time I was there. I sat in the car for a few moments trying to build up the courage to go up to the apartment. What was Landon going to think when she knocked on his door? I reminded myself that he might not even be there and as much as it killed me to think it, it would probably be better if he wasn’t.

I had chosen a loose fitting dress earlier so I could wear a stake strapped to my thigh with a garter. When I got out of the car, I smoothed down the skirt and made sure nothing was bulky or sticking out anywhere. I slowly made my way inside, forcing every step. I had to keep it together.

Getting off the elevator on Landon’s floor was the most difficult. I was tempted to stay on and ride it back down to the lobby and just go home. I hesitated, with my hand ready to knock when I got to the door, forcing myself to go through with it. I took a deep breath and waited to see if either one of them would answer. Just when I was turning to leave the door cracked open.

“Kara?” a voice called.

I turned to see Landon, now standing in the doorway. He didn’t look very good though. He looked gaunt and disheveled.

“Hi,” I said, looking him up and down.

He ran his hand through his hair, trying to tame it a little. I thought he looked sexier.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, obviously surprised.

“It’s really good to see you,” I said, ignoring his question. I wanted to talk to him for a minute before I dropped the Blake bomb.

“Yeah it’s really great to see you too,” he said in a flat voice.

My heart sank at that moment. He didn’t really seem to miss me. What had been going on though in the past week for Landon to look so out of sorts? I decided to just get it over with so I could get out of there and nurse my wounded heart at home.

“Is Blake here?” I blurted out.

Landon’s face grew dark and angry.

“No, but he’ll be back soon.”

“Oh, do you think I could wait for him?” I asked, my heart pounding in my chest. Landon did not look happy that I was asking for Blake.

“Sure come on in,” Landon grumbled, stepping aside.

Oh man, what had I gotten myself into?