Chapter 20

*Sorry for any mistakes :D*

Chapter Twenty

I sighed. Great, Blake was the last person I wanted to see at that moment. He had a funny look on his face and was glancing back and forth between Landon and me. I sat back, feeling a little embarrassed at our close proximity in front of Blake.

“Hello cousin,” Landon said. His fists were clenching at his sides and I could tell he wasn’t happy to see Blake either.

“Don’t let me interrupt,” Blake snapped and walked from the room.

Landon turned to me, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

Landon pulled me close now that Blake had left the room. I sighed into him as he circled his arms around me. We sat there in silence for quite a while, no words necessary. I couldn’t believe that I had only just met Landon a few days ago and we had this connection. Maybe it was because of the situation, I had no way of telling. I knew one thing for sure, I had never had these feelings for anyone.

Landon sat back with a worried look on his face. “I think I should talk to Blake,” he said, looking off towards where Blake had disappeared moments before.

“Um…okay.” I put my hands in my lap and gave him a weak smile. I figured Landon wanted to make sure that Blake was going to leave my parents alone.

Why Landon would want to make sure they were going to be okay after everything they had done to him was beyond me, but I still appreciated it all the same.

Landon stood. “I’ll be back in a minute. Make yourself at home.” He walked out of the room leaving me alone.

I leaned forward spotting the remote for the T.V. and switched it on. I flicked through the channels trying not to think about Landon and Blake down the hall. I found a cooking show that I liked, but I had a hard time concentrating on what was going on, something about a cupcake baking competition.

Landon came back sooner than I expected and sat beside me again.

“I think I had better take you home,” he said, his face strangely distant all of a sudden.

“Is something wrong?” I asked. There clearly was.

“No I think it would just be better if I took you home now,” he said standing with his hand held out to help me up.

My heart sank in my chest. I felt like I had just gotten there and Landon and I had really had no time together. I knew it had something to do with Blake. Anger flared in my chest.

“Fine, that is probably for the best.” I stood, ignoring Landon’s hand and brushed past him.

Landon followed me in silence. We took the elevator down to the parking garage, silence the whole way down. We got in Landon’s car and he pulled out of the garage.

“Kara?” Landon said, not taking his eyes off the road.

“What?” I snapped. It seemed like the last couple times Landon and I were together I ended up being really pissed off.

“I’m sorry I just think it would be better if you didn’t come over to my place for a while.”

“Fine by me,” I replied, even though I didn’t mean it.

“It’s just Blake is a little unstable right now and I’m worried you might get hurt.”

I turned and looked at Landon. His face was pained and my heart instantly melted.

“Okay,” I said, forcing a smile.

He reached over and grabbed my hand and kissed my palm, sending shivers up my arm.

“I wouldn’t want anything to happen to you,” he whispered looking into my eyes.

“Hey watch the road!” I squealed when I realized he was driving the car and looking at me. I totally ruined the moment, but it was better than ending up in a car crash.

Landon chuckled and turned his eyes back to the road. “Don’t worry, I would never crash I have lightning fast reflexes and my eyesight isn’t too shabby either.”

I raised my eyebrows at him in doubt. “Sure.”

He laughed again. Sooner than I would have liked we were pulling up in front of my house. I sighed inwardly. I didn’t want my time to end with Landon already. Suddenly a thought struck me.

“Do you want to come in? I mean you could sneak in without my parents seeing you?” I could feel my cheeks start to burn. I felt like one of those slutty girls inviting a guy in for a late night hook up.

Landon smiled but shook his head no. “I’m sorry Kara, but I don’t really think that is a good idea under the circumstances.”

My heart sank with disappointment. If Blake could do it why couldn’t Landon?

“Okay, maybe some other time,” I said trying to salvage my wounded ego.

“Yeah, maybe,” he said.

I opened the door and turned to get out.

“Kara…”

I turned back to Landon only to find that he had leaned over to my side of the car and he planted his lips firmly on mine catching me by surprise. He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me till I was breathless. When he pulled away I looked into his eyes and they were glowing. It still freaked me out a little, reminding me that he wasn’t human.

“Goodnight Kara.” He handed me my cell phone, which I didn’t even know he had taken out of my pocket.

“How did you…” I stuttered.

He winked. “I put my number in your contacts so you can call me if you ever need to. Especially if Blake shows up, I want you to call me right away.”

“Okay,” I said, taking my phone from him. “Goodnight Landon.”

I got out of the car and headed around to the kitchen entrance. When I turned back, Landon was already gone.

Thankfully the kitchen was empty, Stella long gone. The lights were all out and I figured my parents were either sleeping or in their room watching T.V. I headed up to my room and went into my closet to take off the dress, sad that it didn’t get much use and that my visit with Landon was cut off short. I put on my pajamas and climbed into bed with my laptop. After checking my email and social pages I shut it down and decided to go to sleep. I turned on my T.V. because I like to fall asleep with it on and snuggled down into my pillow, pulling the duvet up to my ears.

I awoke to the feeling of being watched. My room was still dark and my T.V. was droning on. I looked around but couldn’t see anything or anyone in my room, but the nagging feeling wouldn’t leave me.

Next thing I knew someone pounced on top of me covering my body and clapped their hand over my mouth before I could scream.

“Hello again Kara,” a voice whispered in my ear. My blood ran cold.