Chapter 16

*This is a really short chapter but I have been really ill and was in the hospital so I haven't been up to writing but I wanted to give you an upload so I wrote a little. Next chapter will be longer I promise! :)

Chapter Sixteen

Landon placed his hand on my lower back, guiding me to the living room. I looked up at him questioning if we were doing the right thing. He nodded his head. I let Landon lead me to the couch opposite the one Blake was sitting on and sat on the edge. Landon settled beside me, keeping his hand on my back. I was grateful for the comfort.

“So tell me Kara, what warrants the hero act?” Blake asked, smiling a smile that didn’t reach anywhere near his eyes.

“I’m not acting like a hero,” I protested.

“Well Landon here is sure treating you like one, for being a mere mortal and all.”

“Kara saved me from her parents, twice might I point out who just happen to be very qualified Hunters,” Landon said in my defense.

Blake’s eyes swung back to me. “Is that true?”

“Yes,” I whispered, feeling a tad embarrassed by Landon’s words.

“And you are not a Hunter?” Blake asked.

“No, why do you ask?” I said, feeling the weight of his scrutiny bearing down on me.

“Well traditionally Hunter’s children become Hunters themselves.” Blake stated, quirking his eyebrows at me.

“She had no clue as to what her parents were, let alone that vampire’s even existed before she met me. In fact she didn’t even know what I was when she saved me because I’m sure if she had of known she would never have done it.”

“You are not like him, if that’s what you mean,” I said, standing in Landon’s defense.

“Wow seems like you have a real fan here, Landon,” Blake chuckled. “I have to admit she has spunk. I see why you keep her around for a plaything.”

“She is not a plaything Blake,” Landon ground out between his teeth.

“Sure whatever you say cousin,” Blake said, waving his hand in dismissal.

Blake stood and walked over to the plate glass window looking out over the city, his back to us.

“So how long are you staying then Kara?” he asked, not turning.

“She’s not!” Landon blurted.

The way he said it so fast stung me like a hundred bees. I knew I couldn’t stay, that I had to go home but I didn’t know Landon was that anxious to get rid of me. Tears pricked the corners of my eyes and I turned away so no one would see if one escaped.

“Take me home now Landon,” I muttered and stalked down the hall to the front door.

“Oh someone is in a tizzy,” Blake called after me.

I fumed the whole way to the door, refusing to give him the satisfaction of an answer. At that moment, all I wanted was to get as far away from Landon and his jack ass of a cousin as soon as possible.

The car ride home was tense to say the least. I didn’t say one word to Landon and he barely looked at me. He seemed deep in thought so I let him be. My mind was now racing about thoughts of going home. What were my parents going to say when they finally saw me for the first time since my mom shot me in the chest with a stake? I shivered at the thought. My parents had a lot to account for and they were going to fill me in on everything, whether they liked it or not.

Landon pulled into my driveway and pulled to a stop in front of the house. I didn’t even hesitate to open the door.

“Kara?” Landon said, looking straight ahead out the windshield.

He wouldn’t even look at me. My heart gave a lurch and I slammed the door and leaned in the window.

“Thanks,” and with that I walked towards my house.

I heard the tires squeal as Landon threw the car in gear and pulled away. I don’t know what his problem was, but it hurt. It hurt me like more than anything that had happened to me in my life, even my parents exposed secret. I brushed a tear away as I mounted the steps to the house and the door swung open to reveal my dad, looking frazzled.

“Oh Kara! Thank heavens you are okay,” he said, stepping forward and pulling me into a giant hug.

Even though I was mad as hell at them still, I needed that hug more than anything in the world.