Chapter Twenty-Three:

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE:

Edward led me through several yards of tall, wet ferns and draping moss, around a bloody huge hemlock tree, and then we were there, on the edge of an enormous open field in the lap of the Olympic peaks. It was easily twice the size of any baseball stadium.

I could see all the others there; Esme, Emmett and Rosalie, sitting on a bare outcropping of rock, were the closest to us, only around a hundred yards away. Much farther out, I could see Jasper and Alice, appearing to throw something back and forth, but I never saw any ball. It looked like Carlisle was going around marking the bases.

When we came into view, the three on the rocks rose. Esme started toward us and Emmett followed, but Rosalie rose gracefully and strode off towards the field, without even a single glance in my direction. I wasn't bothered- I wasn't exactly new to the concept of being snubbed, I was a muggleborn after all! No matter which House we were in, the Slytherins looked down on us all.

"What was that we heard, Edward?" Esme asked as she approached.

"It sounded like a bear choking," Emmett clarified, smirking at his brother.

"That was him laughing." I instantly dobbed him in.

"Bella was being unintentionally funny." Edward quickly countered, grinning at me.

"Well Edward was being a species-ist." I retort, just as quickly. Emmett chortled.

"Species-ist." He repeated, snickering. "That's funny."

"You being here is lovely, Bella." Esme smiled sweetly at me.

"Thanks Esme."

Alice left her position, and came running, or rather she came dancing, toward us. hurtling to a fluid stop at our feet. "It's time," she announced. As soon as she spoke, a deep rumble of thunder shook the forest beyond us, and then crashed westward towards the town.

"Eerie, isn't it?" Emmett spoke to me with easy familiarity, winking in my direction. I laugh and nod, agreeing.

"Let's go," Alice urged, reaching for Emmett's hand, tugging at him. They darted toward the oversized field; she ran like a gazelle. He was nearly as graceful and just as fast- yet Emmett could never be compared to a gazelle.

"Are you ready for some ball?" Edward asked, his eyes eager and bright. I rolled my eyes.

"Go team!" I say, voice full of sarcastic enthusiasm, and he snickered and, after mussing my hair, bounded off after the other two. He was more aggressive then a gazelle; he looked like a cheetah-graceful and predatory.

"Teenage boys," I shake my head at his retreating figure, "I swear, vampire or human, they're all the same."

"They are," Esme agrees from beside me, a wide smile on her face. "Shall we go down?" she asks, in her soft, melodic voice. I nod, and we start walking, Esme being careful to keep a few feet between us. I wondered if she was still being careful not to frighten me, or if it was for her sake.

"You don't play with them?" I asked her, trying to make conversation, and she shook her head.

"No, I prefer to referee- I like keeping them honest." She explained.

"Do they like to cheat then?" I smile.

"Oh yes- you should hear the arguments they get into! Actually, I hope you don't, you would think they were raised by a pack of wolves." Esme mock-shudders.

"You sound like Mrs. Weasley, so... motherly," I smile, remembering the time I'd spent over at The Burrow, catching up with Ginny- The Burrow is a ten minute walk from Luna's house.