Chapter Two:

CHAPTER TWO:

I'd been back at Hogwarts for a week when the summons arrived for me in the morning post: 'Isabella Marie Swan, you are hereby being summoned to appear before the Muggle-Born Registration Commission.'

That's when I knew I had to run.

-

-

I woke up at around midday. As I yawned and stretched, I observed that at sometime during the night Charlie had pulled a blanket over me, as I was only wearing the towel I'd wrapped around myself last night when I'd left the shower. My cheeks went a touch pink at the thought and I firmly banished it from my mind.

Griselda was fast asleep perched on top of the cage, her head tucked under her wing. She was a beautiful owl, with glossy, sooty grey feathers, a heart shaped marking around her face and large, liquid-looking black eyes. Fiercely independent, she was a gift from Luna for my thirteenth birthday and not much of a pet. Like all post owls, she seemed to have a sixth sense about when I needed her but otherwise I could go weeks without seeing her– she caught her own food, found her own sources of water and slept out in the wild. I almost envied her freedom, when I felt so trapped. 

Glad that I'd had the foresight to do all my unpacking the day before, I dressed quickly and warmly in jeans and a thick woollen sweater before making my way downstairs. Charlie was already sitting in the lounge and watching television but he turned and smiled at me when he heard me come down. "Morning sleepy-head." He teased and I blushed slightly.

"Don't you have work?" I asked and his smile widened. 

"It's Sunday, Bella." He reminded me and my cheeks darkened in my embarrassment. 

"Sorry... time difference." I mumbled. 

"Well you must have been pretty tired. I came up to get you for dinner and found you passed out on your bed." He noted. 

"I haven't been able to sleep properly for a while." I answered his not-question honestly. Charlie's lips pursed slightly but once again, he didn't press for answers and I was thankful for it. I wasn't ready to talk about why I'd had to flee for my life, and if I was being honest I wasn't sure that I ever would be. 

"So, after breakfast– well, lunch really– is there anything you want to do?" he asked instead, getting up to join me as I moved towards the kitchen.

"I don't really know." I admitted to him as I opened the cupboards, glancing back over my shoulder to give him a quick smile of thanks when I spotted a newly purchased box of my favourite cereal. Pouring myself out a bowl of it, I pondered his question. "I guess... I guess I didn't really think that far ahead. I just... had to get out of Britain." 

Charlie fixed me with another long look, but again didn't say anything. Instead, he had a suggestion for me– "what do you think about attending high school?" 

The local high school of Forks– which was, in fact, the only high school in Forks– was rather unimaginatively named 'Forks High School'. From what I vaguely remembered, it had a total number of about three and a half hundred students, which wasn't much less then the Hogwarts population. When I considered Charlie's idea, it was the thought that the kids here had grown up together– their grandparents must have been toddlers together– that had me hesitating. While I'd been spending more and more time in Forks over the last few years, I'd only spent it with Charlie. I didn't know any of the people in Forks my age and I would be the new girl; the daughter of the police chief's runaway bride who was supposedly from Phoenix yet had somehow picked up a slight British accent that I didn't know how I was ever going to be able to explain.