Chapter Five:

CHAPTER FIVE:

Muggle-Born Registration Commission, Act II:
Unless you can prove that you have at least one close Wizarding relative, you are now deemed to have obtained your magical power illegally and must suffer the punishment.

Everyone knew the Muggleborn Registration Commission was a sham, one whose purpose was to either strip muggleborns of their wands and jobs or sentence them indefinitely to Azkaban. Once summoned, the muggleborn was forced to fill out a questionnaire about their family history and then wait for their "trial" behind bars, guarded by Dementors.

No one was ever found "innocent", of course. How could they, when their only crime was being born a muggleborn?

-

-

The next day was better... and worse. It was better because I knew what to expect from the day and people didn't look at me as much, but it was worse because I was tired– exhausted, actually. I'd only managed a few hours sleep before my own strangled screams woke me up and by the time Biology rolled around, I was just ready for the day to end, so I could go home. It was with no small amount of relief that I noticed my table was empty– no vampire.

I sat down and pulled out my notebook, doodling idly and watching as Mr. Banner walked around the room distributing one microscope and one box of slides to each table. The room buzzed with conversation while the class waited to start.

And then my heart skipped a beat as I heard, very clearly, the chair next to me move. I kept my gaze fixed determinedly on the pattern I was drawing, hoping he wouldn't say anything.

No such luck.

"Hello." He greeted me, in his musical voice.

"Hi." I answered, reluctantly looking up at him. But as my eyes met his, in my shock I almost fell out of the chair– and it wasn't because his face was just that devastatingly handsome, which if I was being honest with myself it really was, or because he looked like he'd just won the Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile award for the umpteenth year in a row. No, it was because his irises weren't a dark colour indistinguishable from his pupils today; instead they were ochre colored, darker then butterscotch but with a golden tone.

The rush of relief that hit me took my breath away. The day before his eyes had been dark, almost black, so I'd assumed that once he fed they'd be red. Apparently I'd been wrong, and I'd rarely been gladder of the fact; golden eyed vampires fed on animals instead of humans. The Cullens weren't human-drinkers.

As the tension left my body, a weight lifting from my shoulders I hadn't even been aware I was carrying, I hoped that this alleviated stress would mean I'd sleep easier tonight.

"Are you okay?" Edward asked, and it finally occurred to me that I'd been staring at his eyes in silence for an indeterminable period of time. Blushing slightly, I said the first thing that popped into my head to cover up my blatant gawking.

"Did you get contacts?"

He seemed slightly puzzled by my question, before a brief flicker of understanding crossed his face. "No." he replied, a look of careful bewilderment on his perfect, crystallised features. I shrugged with an acceptance that wasn't feigned, more then eager to just put the whole awkward incident behind us. Far, far behind us.

Mr. Banner chose then to start the class, Merlin bless the man, and I tried to concentrate on his instructions as he explained the lab we would be doing today. Apparently the slides in the box were out of order and working as lab partners we were required to separate the slides of onion root tip cells into the phases of mitosis they represented and label them accordingly– all without using our books.