Chapter Fifteen:

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:

"Do you want to stay for dinner, Edward?" Charlie offers, completely ignorant of the death glare plastered on his best friend's face, "we're going to order take-out." Edward gives Charlie a dazzlingly polite smile.

"Thank you, Chief Swan, but my mom's expecting me home in less then fifteen minutes."

"Maybe next time," Charlie shrugs.

"Maybe next time." Edward agrees. I reach out and squeeze his hand.

"Bye Edward," I smile, and he smiles back at me, expression smoldering.

"I'll see you later Bella," he murmurs, before walking over to the door, carefully leaving a two-foot radius between him and the Blacks. I watch after him for a few seconds, before turning back to Charlie, Billy and Jacob. Charlie's expression is equal parts knowing and amused, Jacob is blushing and Billy...

Horror, shock, anger and disgust are just a few of the emotions visibly raging inside him. Not aimed at me, no, although there is a large amount of worry and anxiety directed my way.

"So, what are we ordering for take-out?" I ask, in a purposefully bright and cheery voice.

"What do we feel like?" Charlie responds, easily, even as he makes his way over to the television, picking up the remote and turning the TV on.

"Um... pizza?" I suggest, as I can't think of any other take-out places in Forks. They don't even have a McDonalds- I have to go to Port Olympia if I want a cheeseburger.

"Sounds great!" Charlie's voice is enthusiastic. I step back slightly, watching as the three guys discuss what to order. My eyes keep flicking over to Billy, and his back to me. Suddenly, I can't wait for us to be alone so we can talk.

I wait impatiently for Charlie to leave the house to go pick up the pizza, faking happy conversation, and the minute he's out the door I turn to Jacob. "Hey, um, I'm really sorry about this, but the engine of the truck's playing up. Do you mind having a look at it?" I ask, face carefully innocent.

"Of course!" Jacob says, giving me a shy smile, ducking his head slightly. He hurries outside, after Charlie, and I wait until I hear the door close before turning to Billy. He's sitting in his wheelchair, face stern.

"What do you know?" I ask him, immediately and without preamble.

"What do you mean?" he asks, in his gruff voice, even as his eyes ask me what do you know?

"The Cullens- what do you know?" I repeat, unable to hide the tone of urgency in my voice. His eyes narrow, his suspicions confirmed.

"You know about the Cold Ones," he says, slowly and carefully, stating it as a fact, not asking.

"If you mean do I know they're vampires, then yes. The question is how do you know?"

Billy's eyes look ancient as he looks at me, his face drawn in a tense, serious expression. "How much do you know about the Quileute legends?" he asks.

"Nothing," I admit.

"Then I'll need to start at the beginning." He sighs. When he speaks next, his voice is flat, monotone, like he's repeating something he's been told many, many times. "There are many legends about where the Quileutes come from. One such legend tells us that we are descended from wolves. And it is correct- that is the true story of our origin."

I think my eyes must be the size of galleons, as I stare, wide-eyed, at Billy. I take a few seconds to go over what he just told me, and then frown. "I mean, that's crazy wow, but how does it relate to the Cullens?" I ask. His eyes are cold as he speaks next.