Chapter Sixteen:

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

Sleep. I never realized how precious it was.

That night I barely slept, and I woke up at three a.m. feeling sick and miserable, and couldn't get back to sleep. Charlie left at around seven, and I bundled myself up in a cozy blanket and dragged myself down to the sofa, planning on skipping school. I was too tired to concentrate, and my stomach was tying itself up in knots.

Every time I tuned into Potterwatch, more and more names would be listed- listed among the missing, and among the dead. Sometimes strangers, sometimes people I knew. And nearly always either muggles or muggleborns.

It physically hurt me, hearing this, and there were finger shaped bruises over my heart where I'd curled up, gripping at the skin over my heart.

And the fear... it was a living, breathing entity inside me; icy knives shredding apart my insides. Horrible things happened to muggleborns captured while on the run. Horrible, awful, terrifying things.

I'd been right that time in Port Angeles. It would have been better to let the men hurt me, then use magic, calling the Snatchers right to my location.

In an effort to distract myself from my rapidly darkening thoughts, I grabbed the remote and switched the TV on, starting to flick through the channels, searching for something interesting.

I settled for a cooking channel, but my mind kept straying. It was less then a month now until I could use magic.

What would happen after? I wondered. Would I still stay here, in Forks? Would I still hide?

...and what about Edward? Would I tell him the truth? I trusted him now. Trusted him and cared for him. Deeply. More then I really wanted to admit. And I found myself wanting to tell him, really, really wanting to reveal what I really was.

I wanted him to hold me and comfort me as I cried. I wanted to tell him about Luna, about her craziness and lovingness. I wanted to tell him about Dumbledore's Army, the Department of Mysteries, the Muggleborn Registration, and my nightmares.

I wanted to tell him everything.

"It's against the rules," I whispered to myself, "Statute of Secrecy." Screw the Statute, a voice inside my head hissed. It's kind of moot, anyway- what with all the muggle hunting going on right now.

I shuddered, and tightened the blanket around me. Because of their speed, vampires are considered dangerous. Fighting more then one or two at a time is difficult, even for a very experienced witch or wizard. As such, it was decided that it was safer if vampires thought they were at the top of the food chain, that they were the most powerful creatures. That way, it gave wizarding folk an advantage if they were ever attacked.

My mind filled with ugly images, I turned off the TV and abandoned my blanket for about thirty seconds to dash upstairs and grab a book. I then curled back up on the couch, and emptied my mind of everything but the complicated love-lives of the characters.

At some point, I managed to doze off, and the sound of someone knocking on the door jolted me from my sleep, sending the book open on my lap careening to the floor.

I felt better after my nap, less... tired and miserable. Rubbing my eyes, I stood up and walked over to the front door, pulling it open without asking who it was.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped in surprise as I took in Edward, standing in the doorway, looking as radiant as ever. "What are you doing here?" I blurted out, before blushing slightly. "I mean, um, hi?" Edward laughs, looking annoyingly amused.

"May I come in?" Edward asked, and I realized I was just standing there, staring.

"Right, sure, come in." I mumbled, my cheeks flaring an even brighter red. I shuffled backwards to make room for him.