Sleeping Smarter: Wean the Screens

• Dedicated to Jeffrey Cayer

Sleep is Your #1 Stress Management Tool

The information and research findings on sleep are coming fast and furious these days.  There seems to be a backlash to the cult of productivity and the former “badge of honor” for functioning on the least amount sleep.  There is a recurrent theme, which is that by not making restorative sleep a priority, there are both short-term and longer term negative consequences.  The negative impact of too much artificial light has become increasingly more relevant, as many of us are using multiple light-emitting devices right up until when our head hits the pillow.  If you are interest the optimal functioning of the human organism, it’s time to evaluate your sleep quantity, quality, and routine! 

There are several factors that contribute to the amount of sleep each individual needs to function optimally, including age, genetics, and personal predeliction for waking early or sleeping late.  The majority of adults over the age of 18 require between 7.5 and 8.5 hours of sleep per 24-hour period (National Sleep Foundation, 2008).  It is also important to realize that sleep needs can alter depending on stress level, any illness, physical demands, work and family responsibilities, etc.  A suggested way to determine your own needs is to let yourself sleep without an alarm clock (sometimes difficult to do during the work week), and see when you wake up naturally.  Assessing your level of sleepiness and fatigue during the day, (if you feel like napping), and need for caffeine can assist you in evaluating if you are getting enough sleep, and if it is truly restorative. 

Accurately evaluating your sleep needs may be challenging if you are habituated to functioning with chronic tiredness and inadequate sleep as your pattern.  Flexibility is key in finding your personal “magic number” of sleep hours and determining what conditions contribute to your most replenishing rest.  Let’s begin with your pattern of light exposure during the day and after dusk.  When considering back-to-basics sleep for humans, I often think about what life was like before the advent of electric light.  Humans rose with the sun and retired when the sun went down.  They did not spend most of the day indoors with fluorescent light and did not have light stimulation after sundown. Their daytime light exposure was to natural light only, which is much more powerful than modern indoor lighting.  Modern technology has given us the power to manipulate the environment to the point where the sun potentially never sets!

 Artificial light after dusk interferes with the production of the hormone melatonin which regulates the sleep cycle, and disrupts the circadian rhythms.  Circadian rhythms include physiological, cognitive, and behavioral changes that follow an approximately 24-hour cycle, responding mainly to light and darkness in the outside world.  Light is the single most important external factor that influences circadian rhythms.  Modern humans living in industrialized societies typically do not get enough light during the daytime hours, and then get too much artificial light in the evening.  By limiting your artificial light exposure in the hours before bed, you could assist your body in preparing naturally for restful sleep. 

Test Drive #1:  Try to get out into the light during the daytime, even if it is only for 20 minutes.  Experiment with minimizing artificial light the closer that you get to bedtime.  Ideally, one hour before bed, you would only have exposure to very dim light.  Try not to use any electronic devices or watch television during that one hour.  Reading a print book or magazine may be a better option than an electronic one.  Notice if this simple change in routine enhances your ability to fall and stay asleep.  If an hour is unrealistic based on your lifestyle, you may consider installing software to adjust the light level to reduce the stimulating effects.

Another area to be attentive to is the darkness of your bedroom.  Darker is better.  Clocks and devices that emit blue light are suboptimal and can supress melationin production.  Red and amber light are the least disruptive to circadian rhythms.  If you are using electronic devices in the evening, you may want to consider installing F.lux, which adapts the light emissions from your computer to the time of day.  It changes to  sunlight during the day, and warm at night, drastically reducing the blue light emitted.  You can access  the program at justgetflux.com.  The website has more interesting information and lists numerous research references.  I have noticed a drastic difference in my ability to fall asleep on nights that I am using my laptop after installing f.lux.  A jailbreak is required for download on other devices, and the generous creators are working on alternatives for users for whom the break is not a viable option

Getting natural light during the day can be a challenge, especially in the winter.  After researching options for addressing daytime light deficiency, I purchased a blue light therapy device (I purchased the Philips goLITEBLU, but there are multiple available purchase options), that I keep by my computer at work during the day.  I have experimented with different dosages, and found that for me personally, 20 minutes in the mid-morning and 30 minutes in the early afternoon seems to be effective on days that I cannot clock sufficient natural bright light exposure.  One of my coworkers uses the light in 15 minute increments, earlier in the morning, and again around lunchtime. 

When I purchased my Philips goLITEBLU Light Therapy device on Amazon.com, the related product suggestions included sunrise simulation alarm clocks.  I purchased the Philips HF3520 Wake-Up Light, but there are numerous other options to choose from.  When I was evaluating my own sleep routines, I realized that waking in utter darkness to a jarring alarm was suboptimal for my brain, psyche, and mood.  The sunrise simulator clock is a round orb with an amber light display, with options for your own “miniature sunrise” including adjusting the duration of gradually increasing light.  Mine is set for twenty minutes prior to my actual wake time.  The orb begins by glowing red, then orange, yellow, and finally a bright white light.  You have the option to set a buzzer or other nature sounds for your actual wake time, but I find that I am always awake before the alarm sound, secondary to the slowly intensifying light.

  It is an entirely different experience of awakening, and I find that my usual grumpiness in the morning has been qualitatively different - I’ll never be a “morning person” but I’m no longer hell on wheels!  Sunrise simulator lights are recommended by the National Sleep Foundation and are backed by clinical research – 92 percent of users reported an improved waking experience, including more energy and improved mood.  The clock also has a feature for sunset-simulating light reduction that may aid in relaxation and winding down towards sleep at night. 

There are many other factor to consider in your total sleep equation.  There are some recurrent do’s and don’ts in most recommendations from the sleep docs and professionals.  Some of the more common are as follows:

1)  Try to establish a regular sleep routine, going to bed at that same time, and waking up at the same time, even on the weekends or days off from school or work.

 2)  Avoid caffeine and alcohol in the evening, and don’t exercise or eat too late- it could negatively impact your sleep.  Caffeine has a half-life of 6-9 hours, so it’s best to establish a cut-off time for any caffeinated beverages.  Less is definitely more!

 3)  Keep the room dark by keeping your electronic devices switched off, and use black-out shades or a sleep mask as needed.  Don’t check email or clock watch if you awaken during the night!  If any devices or clocks need to be left on, dim red light displays are the least disruptive.

 4)  Most sleep scientists concur that cooler room temperatures are more conducive to restorative sleep.  Most recommendations fall between 60 and 67 degrees Farenheit as the optimal temperature range.  A cool room mirrors the body’s internal temperature drop during the sleep process.

 5)  Establish a ritual around bedtime.  Take a warm bath, drink a cup of herbal tea, do gentle stretches, deep breathing, guided relaxation, or meditation.  Customize your routine and experiment with what conditions and actions that support and encourage falling asleep and staying asleep. 

Test Drive #2:  Begin customizing your own effective pre-sleep ritual in small increments.  Do one thing differently each day of the week, adding and subtracting habits and activities over time.    

For example, the first day, limit your light exposure.  Maybe try using candlelight before bed as an option to artificial light.  Add in an herbal tea the next day.  Make your bed inviting by changing up your bed linens or lightly scenting sheets with lavender or preferred fragrance.  Use a sunset simulation device.  Go at your own pace and see if you formulate any new ideas that you want to add to your repertoire.

Sometimes, a medical evaluation with a sleep specialist is warranted depending on individual circumstances.  The National Sleep Foundation offers a directory of providers at sleepfoundation.org.  Appropriate medical evaluation and care when indicated is an important element of comprehensive self-care.

Mix it up, experiment, make sleep a priority, and see if you feel better over time.  The jury is in, and the verdict is that controlling light exposure and adequate length and quality of sleep are absolutely essential elements to creating resilience and the ability to function optimally in all areas of life.  Time to get your ZZZZs on!