FIVE

Rose

Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. First they talked and laughed, days later his arms began to wrap around her shoulders, a few weeks later they were official. Gossip about them spread like wildfire.

"Did you hear Harry and Rose are dating?"

"They are so cute together!!"

"How'd she get a cutie like that so quickly?"

"If they ever break up, i'm next in line." 

It all reminds me of the perfect little lips that I can't kiss. The soft curls that I can't play around with. The chubby cheeks that I can't cup into my hands. The sweet angel eyes that'll never look at me the way that I look at them. My urge to tell him was strong but, the only thing holding me back were my fears of judgement. I didn't want anyone to think of me as the girl that would get in between a guy and his girlfriend. I mean, it wasn't the first time. I just didn't want it to happen again.

"Rose!"

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted by snaps in front of my face. I shook my head and looked at Ms. Ruth, my health teacher who was looking at me with a stern look. The class was staring at me intently making me feel uncomfortable and shift in my seat.

"What's a good activity to improve your cardiovascular endurance?"

"Um- well, jogging, running, cycling or anything that gets oxygen through your system and gets the heart and lungs working together."

"Good... next time just look up at the board to let me know that you're paying attention." I nodded my head and went back to copying down the notes on the board. It was the last class of the day and I just wanted to go home.

"Do you want to go to the café with me today?" I heard the other Rose say behind me.

"Yeah sure...can I bring my friends?" I heard Violet say from behind me. Um, how about no?

"Of course!! Can't wait!" Her squeaky voice came out louder than expected. Ms. Ruth turned around and looked around the room before continuing her writing. The clock soon hit 3:20 pm and it was time to leave class. I packed up my belongings and walked with Violet and the other Rose to the door.

Waiting at the door was Harry with his arms wide open for his girlfriend. Violet and I looked at each other awkwardly and started walking to our lockers. Tyler came with his skateboard in his hand and Ruby came shortly after.

"I'm hungry." Ruby complained

"Oh yeah. Rose invited us to the café bean." Ruby's eyes opened in delight. She walked over to me and gave me a hug. "Thanks."

"Not me, the other Rose."

"Oh." She pulled away from me. Tyler's eyes scanned the crowded hallway.

"Where is she?"

"She's coming with Harry." On cue, Harry and the other Rose popped up from the corner. They walked closer to us, swerving past the other people in the hall.

"Lets go guys!" The other Rose said. I took out my phone and plugged in my earphones. I played one of my playlists on Spotify with my recent favorite songs. Ruby, Violet, Tyler and the other Rose all began to have their own conversation. Harry was more on the quiet side, he seemed to enjoy the silence. I would butt into the conversation a few times but, I was too tired and I just wanted to listen to my music. We finally got to the café, we decided to sit on the same booth as always. I slid down and sat at the window seat. Harry and the other Rose dragged two chairs from another table and sat down with us. I stared out the window and looked at the people passing by. I continuously tapped my fingers onto the table, finding it quite relaxing. I stayed quiet trying to think of subjects to talk about but, my efforts weren't needed.

"Ok well, we're off to buy our stuff. Can you take care of our things?" Violet said as they all got on line. I nodded my head. I fiddled with my fingers and hoped that people didn't think that I was some weird loner that owned a lot of bags. I stayed alone at the table for a few more awkward minutes just looking out of the window and thinking of situations that will probably never happen. Finally Ruby, Tyler, and Violet came with their goods. Tyler sat next to me with a slice of chocolate cake.

"Can I have some?" I asked Tyler, looking down at his delicious cake. "Just a tiny bit. This little." I showed him by placing my index finger and thumb closely together and leaving a space in between. Tyler huffed in annoyance and slid his cake over my way. I grabbed the spoon and cut a tiny piece and noticed a hand full of rings placing a cup of coffee besides the plate. I looked up at Harry who was looking down at me with a wide smile on his face.

"Lots of sugar and cream." He said cheerfully. I felt my heart flutter inside my chest and was left with a loss of words.

" um-"

"I told him that you didn't like coffee but, he insisted on buying you one. He didn't want to make you feel left out." Violet said. I looked at him.

"Thanks. It smells delicious" I said shyly. I looked down at my lap and pushed back my glasses. What is he doing to me? I looked back at Harry and watched him push his hair back. The other Rose tugged at his arm, catching his attention, and put a drop of her cake cream on his nose and kissed it.

I looked away and took a sip of my coffee.

"Did you guys know that I used to work in a bakery?"