TWO

Rose

I rushed out of my last class of the day and walked over to my locker. This is the spot where I meet up with my friends at the end of each day.

I grabbed my sweater and closed up my locker. I turned around and saw my friends, Ruby, Violet and Tyler standing behind me. I gave Ruby and Tyler a tight hug before setting them free from my grasp.

"Let's go to café bean." Violet insisted. "Yeah, I'm hungry!" Ruby agreed.

"I don't have money." Tyler sighed. "I'll pay for you." Violet said. I huffed.

"No." I said blankly. They all stared at me in disbelief. Violet tugged me by the arm and walked us all out of the school building. The whole way to the café I whined saying things like "Coffee tastes bitter" or "I don't want to eat pastries" but, they kept turning me down by saying " Then why don't you get hot coco" or "You don't have to eat anything". I ran out of excuses; All I wanted to do was go home and take a good nap. All my energy was drained from my messy sleeping schedule over the summer. Violet pushed the door open and dragged me inside. Ruby and Tyler followed behind us closing the door as they entered the café.

"Hey so do any of you want to order for me?" Ruby asked. Violet rolled her eyes and grabbed Ruby's money and asked both Tyler and Ruby what they wanted. I scooted away from their conversation and looked for a good table for all of us to sit. I found the perfect booth and sat at the corner. It was just one booth away from the door and it was right next the the glass window. I stared out of the window right next to me, looking at the people who walked by and closing my eyes from time to time.

After waiting for quite a while, Tyler, Ruby and Violet spotted me sitting in the booth and came walking with their mugs in hand. Violet sat at the seat across from me, Tyler sat next to her and Ruby sat next to me. I inhaled the aroma of their drinks; My stomach grumbling at the delightful scent. The café door opened allowing us to hear the bells attached jingle.

"The cold keeps coming in" Violet complained. I turned to face her. " Shut up, it's refreshing." She took a sip of her Latte, licking off the foam from her upper lip.

"Isn't this nice?" Violet said. The Café was quiet and cozy. There were a few people on their laptops, others on line and others just having some alone time. I looked out the window. "There are strangers looking at us." I looked back at my friends to see them all take a sip of their drinks in sync. " You guys are making me hungry."

"Why don't you get something?" Tyler asked. I looked at him and scrunched my nose. "You don't understand. I have a specific taste when it comes to coffee." I responded.

"I don't know what to tell you. Just try a hazelnut coffee with cream and sugar. " Tyler suggested. I sighed

"Fine. " I took my money out of my book bag and asked Ruby to scoot over so I could pass. I stood at the side of the booth and began walking to the cashier. I quickly turned around and went back to my group of friends. "Can someone order for me?"

"No. Just go!" Ruby replied. Great. I turned around and walked to the counter.

"And remember to say that it's to stay!" I heard Violet yell from behind me.

I quickly ran back the line and waited. I finally saw the person in front of me move out of the way and was greeted by the cashier's cheery voice.

"Hi! What can I get you?"

"Um, hi. Can I get a small hazelnut coffee? With cream and sugar?"

"Oh sure. We have the sugar in little packets. Would you like a small amount of cream or how would you like it?" I didn't think this through. I felt the palm of my hands begin to sweat as I grasped onto the money.

"Half the cup?" It came out more of a question than a statement. She nodded. She inputted the order on her touch screen monitor; her nails tapped on the screen making my heart race even quicker.

"To stay or to go?"

I panicked.

"To go."

"Ok miss that'll be $2.99. Also, can I have your name. I'll call you when you're order is ready." I smiled.

"Rose." She nodded and gave me the receipt. I walked over to my table and stood next to it. Ruby scooted towards the window so I could sit on the edge of the booth.

"How'd it go?" Ruby asked

"I accidentally said that it was to go." Violet looked at me in disappointment.

"I told you it was for here but, you didn't listen!coño." I was about to respond when I heard my name and another person's name being called.

"Harry!"
"Rose!"

I walked up to the cashier where I saw a cup of coffee between the two cash registers. The cashiers soon left to check how the other workers were doing and I was left alone with my coffee. I picked it up and took a sip of it. A strong and bitter taste touched the tip of my tongue. This is exactly why I don't trust anyone with my coffee. This is horrible! My thoughts were dismissed by the sounds of someone clearing their voice. I turn to my left and see the new kid from class earlier.

"Harry." He said

I furrow my eyebrows

"I'm sorry, what?" His long fingers pointed to cup in my hand. My gaze fell to the paper cup in my hands and I immediately felt all the blood rush to my cheeks. Written in black marker was the name 'HARRY'. I looked down to my feet with the cup still in my hands.

"Sorry." I look back to him and see him picking up my cup. I must've missed it.

"Rose." His thick accent made my heart flutter. He handed me my cup of coffee. I put down his cup of coffee on the counter and go into my pockets. I pull out a $5 bill and hand it to him.

"Get yourself another one." I insisted. It was the least I could do. He shook his head.

"It's fine, you don't have to do that. I have cash, I'll get myself another one." I gave him a shy smile.

"Are you sure?" He nodded. I put back my money into my front pocket and walked away from the cashier. After walking a few feet or so, I turn around and face Harry.

"You should put more cream and sugar in your coffee." The corners of his plump pink lips lifted up, forming a smile that showed off his perfect white teeth and dimples. I quickly walked back to my table. Maybe an awkward encounter isn't the worst thing in the world.