THREE

Rose

After yesterday's encounter, Harry was all I thought about. I stared at the clock on top of the smart board and waited till it 9:15. Just on cue, the bell rang and math class was dismissed. I walked out of the room with Violet by my side and we made our way into ELA class. The desks were set up in groups of five instead of rows. Violet and I sat in the front of classroom.

Ruby and Tyler walked into the room and sat at the same table as us. I took out my notebook and two pencils and waited quietly for Mrs. Pendleton to commence the class. I looked at the door and saw Harry's luscious curls from the door window. He slowly crept open the door and headed towards our table. Our eyes locked for a quick second before I looked away. A slight smile crept onto my face as I felt my heart pound on my chest. Just as I thought he was going to our table, he took a turn and headed to the table behind us. I sunk into my chair and crossed my arms. Mrs. Pendleton walked up to the front of the smart board and put on a Do Now.

"Oh, hi everyone! This is a simple question. I just want to see what's going on inside your minds when you think of the word style. What do you think it means or what pops into your mind? Just jot down a sentence or two and we'll share out after."

I opened up to the first page in my notebook and began to scribble down my answer. After a few minutes, Mrs. Pendleton spoke again.

"Would anyone like to share out?" The classroom grew silent. "No one?" Mrs. Pendleton's eyes scanned the room. I quickly looked down at my notebook and pretended that I was still working so she wouldn't call on me. "How about you in the back? I haven't seen your face in the halls these past years.What's your name?"

"Um yeah i'm new. My name is Harry." I heard his voice from behind me. I turned my head and looked at his direction.

"So Harry, what comes to your mind when you hear the word Style?"

"My last name." He responded. The Silence in the room soon turned into giggles. Mrs. Pendleton kept a smile on her face.

"Great sense of humor you got there Harry. Does anyone else have a real answer?"  I slowly raised my hand, surprising myself. I wasn't the type of person to answer questions in class. It's pretty nerve wracking."Yes."

I stared at the teacher for a while before, getting sucked back in to reality. "Well, when I think of style, I think of the way someone expresses themselves. Like some people have a distinctive way of dressing and others have a distinctive way of writing. It's their kind of style."

"Wow that's a really good way of putting it....."

"Rose." I ended her sentence.

"Yes, Rose. This brings us to today's lesson. We are going to find out the different styles in writing." Mrs. Pendleton walked up to the smart board and changed the slide. "Please only copy the definitions on the board."

I look up to the smart board and jotted down the notes. From the corner of my eyes I see Harry's body slightly tilted in my direction. His legs were crossed and stretched out past his desk. He studied the words on the board while keeping his hands crossed on his desk.

"Harry, why aren't you writing?" Mrs. Pendleton asked him.

"I don't have a pencil."

"Does anyone have a pencil for Harry to borrow?" Mrs. Pendleton stared at me and at my other free pencil that was on my desk. I sighed.

"I do." I raised my hand. I picked up the pencil and turned around. I saw Harry with a smirk on his face and his hand out. I placed the pencil at the palm of his hand. "Just remember to give me my pencil back after, I take my pencils very seriously." He smiled forming indents on his cheeks.

"I will" He winked. I turned around and quickly went back to writing before anyone could see my cheeks reddening.