FOUR

Rose

The first few classes were long and tiring. Not eating breakfast didn't help the situation either. My stomach grumbles and the only thing that kept me going was the school bell ringing. Lunch time! I made my way into the cafeteria. I quickly placed my bag on the table that our group had been sitting on for the past two years. It was a table that we shared a lot of good memories and laughs. I walked to the lunch line and sighed in relief when noticing the short line. Lunch is the only period that I'll go early to without complaining. I swiped my Student I.D and picked my food.

I say a quick "thank you" to the lunch ladies before, walking back to my seat and taking a bite out of my cheese burger. Violet sat in the seat across from me and took out her bacon, egg and cheese from the deli. Tyler came back with his lunch in his hand and sat next to Violet. Not long after, Ruby came and sat between Violet and Tyler.

"Do any of you-" I was cut off by an annoying perky voice.

"Hi Violet, have you seen that new guy Harry? He's kinda cute!" I rolled my eyes, noticing the blue streaks on the hair of the girl standing beside me. It was Rose well, tiny Rose. She has the same name as me and all of a sudden she thinks she knows me. She nudged me and took my place in front of Violet. "Oh hi second Rose." She said to me with a smile on her face. There was nothing I hated more than being undervalued. I turned to Ruby with a look of disgust. Tyler's eyes widened. The other Rose looked back at Violet. I took a bite of my burger and drank from my water bottle. "Anyways, should I go talk to him? He seems lonely over there. I'm kinda nervous."

"Yeah sure. Go ahead." Violet replied trying to get rid of her. I inhale my sip of water and cough viciously. The other Rose looked at me weirdly before proceeding to walk over to Harry's table. Ruby walked around the table and patted my back hard until I finished coughing. "Thanks?"

My eyes followed the other Rose's trail to Harry's table. He sat alone in the back of the cafeteria on his phone which was a few tables away from ours. I saw his lips begin to move. I never thought I wanted to learn how to read lips until now. The other Rose proceeded to talk and sit next to him. From afar I saw him laugh; The corners of his eyes crinkling. I felt my heart sink to my stomach. His eyes roamed the room and met mine once again. We held our gaze for a couple of seconds until I felt someone grip my hand. I turned away from Harry and faced Tyler.

"Do you have the cards?" Tyler asked, taking a sip of his chocolate milk right after. I nodded my head. I bent down and looked for the cards in my book bag under the table. I finally found the cards and looked up. I took one last glance at harry who seemed to have a blast with the other Rose. I took out the cards from the box.

"So what are we playing?"