Chapter 9

Chapter 9

It was freezing cold and even my hot chocolate was getting cold.  I was sitting in the bleachers with the rest of the family and Nathan.  We were waiting for Carson to come running out onto the field with the rest of the team. 

“Come here you’re freezing”

I curled up next to Nathan with no objection.  I brought the hot chocolate to my lips and it tasted like I was drinking chocolate milk.

“This is a fail”  I said holding up the cup

He laughed and then pulled me in closer.  He was warmer than I expected he would be.

“Tell me your secret for being so warm” 

“I have a hot girl friend”  he joked

The team ran out onto the field and we all stood up and cheered as Carson took off his helmet and cheered with us.  Coach John scolded him once they got to the bench.  It was Carson’s last game and even though they had a great season they didn’t make it to states. 

“Are you gonna cheer like this when basketball comes around?”

“Of course.  I no absolutely nothing about basketball but I will cheer louder than anyone there.”

We shared one cold kiss and then our attention was taken back to the game.

It was third quarter and Carson’s team was up by seven.  By the looks of the way the game was going I think they were going to win.  Carson threw the ball in a beautiful spiral sending it far.  Just as the ball was caught Carson was sacked.  The guy stood up and took a few steps back.  Carson was lying on the ground with his leg bent all weird ways.  The medics came running to his side and so did Coach John.  A few seconds later Coach John waved over the stretcher. 

I hadn’t noticed in all the camotion that I was standing up.  I looked over at Nathan with my worried expression.

“Go” he told me

The whole family ran down to where Carson was being wheeled out.  We found Coach John.

“Whats wrong coach?” asked my dad

“He is unconscience and they are taking him to the hospital right now.  You wanna jump in there with him?”

“Yeah”  My dad ran over to the ambulence and jumped into the back with Carson.

I walked to my moms side to comfort her.  Her eyes were starting to well up.

“Don’t let Chris see me like this” she said leaning into my shoulder.

Chase was holding Chris’s hand and I signaled him to take him to the car.  Chad and Cody took their other halves home and drove mom to the hospital.  Nathan drove me home and I dropped off the twins and Chris.  Nathan then drove me to the hospital.

I ran through the lobby and found the receptionist who pointed me to the elevator that would take me to the third floor where they were holding Carson.  I got to the third floor and found Cody and Chad pacing in the hallway.  I ran into Chad’s arms.

“He’ll be okay.  They just took him into surgery”

I nodded my head and retreated back to Nathan.  We waited in the waiting room until mom and dad came and got us.  We walked into Carson’s room.  He layed on the bed with a bunch of wires hooked up to every part of his body.  The sight of him laying there brought tears to my eyes.  Nathan grabbed me and I cried into his shoulder.