Chapter 6

It wasn't G rated. Or PG, for that matter.

No, more like PG-13. But not R. And, surprisingly enough, that was the Doctor's fault.

"Stop, honey." River mumbled, swatting at his arm. "I'm bored." He huffed. "And your bum is very nice. Have I ever told you that?" He wondered aloud.

She groaned and slapped his arm again. "Hands. Off."

He relented and let them splay across her back instead. "River, I've gotten plenty of sleep the last few days. I really don't need any more. I don't see how you do!" She cracked an eye open. "Sweetie, I swear, if you don't shut up, I'm going to duct tape your mouth shut and tie you on the floor while I sleep."

His mouth promptly closed. He knew she wasn't bluffing because she'd done it before.

So he very unceremoniously threw the covers off and pulled out of River's embrace. "Where do you think you're going?" She asked, eyes opening at the loss of heat.

He pulled his trousers on. "I told you, I'm quite bored. I've got to do something."

She sat up, propping her head up with her elbow. "And since I won't let you grope me in my brother's house, you're leaving to go where?"

His face reddened. "I wasn't.... groping you." She rolled her eyes. "Not yet, no. Now where are you going?"

"I..... maybe Akhaten." He replied, slipping his button-up on and beginning to fasten them. "You're going to the girl, then." River said calmly, getting out of the bed and stilling his hands to take over them.

"Well.... now that you mention it, it's not such a bad idea." He mumbled. She smiled softly at his uncertainty and continued to push another button through, pressing a kiss to his chest before she covered it. "What, you think I'm jealous?" She asked, helping into the vest. He scratched the back of his head. "Well, it's just that..." he fumbled, running his fingers through his hair, "she may or may not have snogged me at some point."

River's eyebrows shot up and she ducked her head to hide the corners of her lips quirking. "Oh, did she now?"

He gulped as she straightened his collar. "Yes?"

"Well," River said, looping his bowtie around his neck, "you'll have to wear one of our wedding rings, won't you?" She began tying it. "What do you mean? Are all my bowties our wedding rings?" He asked, watching her do it.

"Oh yes. This-" She put her hand up to his face and traced the Gallifreyan word for 'mine'. He chuckled. "Okay, works by me." He bit his lip. "But what if, you know, for some crazy reason, my next regeneration doesn't like bowties?"

River kissed his cheek and tied the knot, then smoothed it out. "Hm. If it doesn't like bowties, he might not like me." She was teasing, but there was an underlying tone there that made his gut twist.

The Doctor scoffed. "Ridiculous. Of course he will. I always will. Maybe I'll get a real wedding ring if I don't like bowties."

"Now, if you aren't back by tomorrow morning, I'll be very unhappy. If you get killed, I'll be very unhappy. So don't get killed, and get here back on time. Got it?"

He bopped her nose. "Got it."

She kissed his lips quickly and shoved his shoulder. "Go on, old man."

He giggled and leaned over Brooke's cot to press his lips to her forehead. "Daddy'll be right back." He promised, and hugged his wife again, only to pull away with of sadness on his face. "But you can't... you won't sleep." He remembered aloud. River shrugged. "It's four o'clock in the morning. I'll be fine. I've had plenty of sleep the last few days, anyway."