Chapter 18

March 6, 2013. Anthony and Georgia's house. 2:12 AM

"Ready?" The Doctor murmurs to her, slipping his hand in hers.

"God, yes."

They step outside, together, and the Doctor knocks on the front door. It feels like roughly 2 in the morning, and when Georgia opens the door, she's sleepily rubbing her eyes and tugging on her robe.

"Oh, you're back. She's in there," The woman gestures sleepily, "Feel free to stay the night again, whatever. Glad you're back, hopefully the five day vacation let you rest. You won't be getting much after this, I can promise that much..." She mumbles as she turns, leaving the door open behind her.

They step into the house slowly, River entering first. She takes a deep breath. "God, it's been-"

"Forever?" The Doctor gives her a bitter sweet smile.

River nods, tugging on his hand as she leads them to the room Brooke sleeps in. She stops in the doorway, staring at her daughter. The Doctor nudges her forward after a moment, and she surges to the crib, scooping Brooke up in one fluid motion.

He doesn't join, not yet, content to let his wife see her for baby the first time in years. He loves his daughter more than anything, but he knows that the bond between a mother and child is, perhaps, the strongest in the universe. River needs this- needs to hold Brooke in her arms and feel her warmth, needs to kiss her tenderly on the forehead and hug her to her chest so tightly, it's almost too tight.

She doesn't even whine; the Doctor thinks she can sense how much her mother needs her touch.

A silent tear runs down River's cheek, and she chokes out, "Hello sweetie. I've missed you," before burying her nose in the babe's neck.

His wife doesn't waste her tears, and seeing her crying once again reminds him of how much longer she's waited than he has. She's, no doubt, thought of their daughter every night, just as he has, and has planned out everything she'd say if given the chance.

He also knows that, just as he has, she forgot anything she needed to say the moment she saw her.

He walks to them, placing a steady hand on River's back and wrapping the other around until he can hold them both against him.

Though it's an absolutely awful habit to begin, Brooke sleeps in their bed that night, with both of her parents wrapped around her. She hasn't really said much to them, besides expressing her happiness from seeing them, and once again the Doctor thinks she somehow understands her mother's needs.

Neither of them go to sleep that night, and neither of them talk; they listen to Brooke's heartbeats in silent agreement, each draping a hand over her small form.

-----------

The Doctor cracks another egg over the pan and turns up the heat. He decided to make breakfast for the couple as a thank-you, though he thinks he should probably throw a romantic cruise in as well.

Thinking of bringing them on a trip brings his thoughts back to his companion. Clara's smart; one of the cleverest he's ever had. She'd already noticed something was up before the whole Library deal started, and it's only a matter of time before she figures it out on her own. A misplaced toy, a pacifier in his coat- he'll give it away somehow or another.

He'll tell her, he decides, flipping the egg expertly onto a plate. Though he doesn't plan on leaving his family any time soon.

"What's this?" Anthony's groggy voice cuts through the air.

The Doctor holds up the spatula in greeting. "Oh, Tony! Can I call you that? I think I like it. I'm making you breakfast. You know, as a thanks." He pauses. "Though technically you did buy it."