Chapter 3

February 24, 2013.  9:12 PM

Today wasn't that eventful, surprisingly. Took both of them to the planet Barcelona. I feel bad for those dogs. River let Brooke use them as target practice. Only with a BB gun, she keeps saying, so it's no big deal, but still. And technically Brooke only hit one.

The King wasn't too happy about it, but he just let us go as soon as he laid eyes on my daughter. Took all the fun right out of it! No escaping, no running, no nothing! Just a glance at Brooke, and they're overcome by cuteness. Okay, she is adorable. And beautiful. But still.... I think she'd enjoy the running. Even if River's carrying her while she runs.

The Doctor sat down his pen and yawned.

I wanna eat! Let me eat, Milky! Brooke shouted telepathically.

"Go get me a pacifier, will you?" River asked him, brushing back her daughter's hair.

"Where are those?"

"Ask the Old Girl to materialize one. We picked one up at Walmart, I'm sure."

"Okay." He stood up and went to the control room, and eventually discovered a blue one under the console.

He went back into the room and handed it over. "Here you go."

"Thanks." River stuck in her mouth, but Brooke spit it out.

"Hey! Just take it! What's wrong with it?"

I can tell the difference. It's obviously rubber.

River groaned. "I'm tired. Can't you drink out of a bottle or something while you go to sleep?"

The baby's eyes opened, and darted around.

Can Daddy feed me?

His face flushed. "No! Only Mummy can do that."

"Lucky Dalek." River grumbled under her breath.

"Want me to make her a bottle?" The Doctor asked, stroking her face.

She peered down at the child, who's face resembled her father's pout. "Yeah. Go ahead." He nodded and walked out.

Mum! Those are weird! Please, let me eat.

River grinned. "You called me mum!"

Milky. Whatever.

"Too late now. It's mum."

Brooke started crying.

Please, Mum! Please! I don't want to!

"Look, I'm tired. And sore. All I want you to do is drink out a bottle. Just one time, alright?"

Her daughter sniffled, but quieted down. "And I want you to call me mum."

Okay.

River was smiling when the Doctor came back in the room. "What is it?" He asked as he handed the bottle over.

"She's calling me mum now."

"Oh, that's great!." He leaned down and pressed a kiss to each of their foreheads. "Goodnight, Brooke. I'm going to take a quick shower, alright?"

Night, daddy.

He grinned and went into the bathroom. By the time he got out, Brooke was in her room and River was reading a book on their bed.

"Hey." He plopped down beside her.

"Mmhmm." She murmured, focusing on the page. He huffed, annoyed, and slid under the covers.