Chapter 2

Cumbria. November 23, 1207. 6:28 PM.

Been thinking on Clara. Even became a monk! Not my best ensemble, I must admit. I look strange. River would probably burn the cloak I'm wearing.

Clara has died twice. Confusing. She's the exact same person. Looks the same, acts the same. Has the same personality, really. Who is she?

London. July 26, 2013. 7:49 PM.

Well, I found her. Strange way, of course. I was in the year 1207, and she called me from 2013! Don't know how. Said a woman in the shop gave her the number. Something that definitely needs to be looked into.

I'm bringing her on maybe one adventure today. Then I've got to go to my wife. Put her room on the TARDIS in a time-lock, maybe?

8:13 PM

Change of plans. She said to come back Wednesday. I guess I won't need a time-lock. For now, I've got to go back to family. Hopefully she won't be able to tell I was gone longer than a couple days.

The Doctor rubbed his temples slowly. This girl, Clara, was getting confusing. What was she? How was she dying so many times?

He stood up slowly and flipped a few levers, finally making the trip he'd been running away from for a while now. He was sure to chart it only a couple days after.

When he heard it land, he straightened his bowtie, checked himself in the mirror, and walked out the door.

River wasn't waiting right in front of him like he'd thought she'd be. But he could hear her voice, and it reminded him of how stupid he was for staying away for so long.

"Come on, Brooke. You can do it. Just lift that little head. You're a strong girl." She cooed. He looked at his surroundings. The guest room. They were in the lounge, maybe?

He walked to her voice, hearts thundering dangerously in his chest as the proximity of the woman he'd been avoiding for over a year grew closer.

He stopped in the doorway when he saw her. Her back was to him, and she was wearing shorts and a tank top. It wasn't really a River-ish outfit.

She stilled immediately when she felt his gaze on her.

"You came back." It was barely more than a whisper, but he heard it, and his shoulders sagged. "Of course I did. You really think I'd leave you alone?"

She didn't respond, and he saw that she was nuzzling Brooke's chin with her finger.

He approached her from behind, and knelt down behind her. She shivered at his breath on her neck.

"It should've only been a couple of days. How long?" He questioned.

"Just four. We were fine."

He planted a kiss to his wife's cheek and went to sit cross-legged beside her, gazing at Brooke. His lips tingled from the contact, and he couldn't help the smile that bloomed across his face. In a moment he broke the silence,

"I think I'm better now."

She nodded. He decided not to push her yet, and picked his baby girl off the pallet. "Hey, baby. Daddy's back." He kissed her forehead, and she stretches out and yawns.

Will Daddy stay?

He weaves a finger into her hands. Of course he will. Daddy loves you very much.

Milky's sad.

He glanced over at his wife, who was still refusing to meet his eyes.

Daddy can fix it. Go to sleep.