Chapter 1

You're insecure, don't know what for...” I sighed and got up to shut my door, hoping to block out the music. I had been sitting in my dorm room trying to catch up on some reading for my English and Literature class. I had an exam next week and I needed all the silence I could get. “Everyone else in the room could see it, everyone else but you...” I closed my eyes trying to calm myself down before I exploded.

“COULD YOU PLEASE TURN THAT DOWN, MELISSA?” I yelled. “ONLY IF YOU STOP YELLING!” shouted back my roommate's voice.

Melissa was a hardcore One Direction fan. Or a “Directioner” as she liked to call herself. I was a fan too, but their catchy songs were keeping me from reading and I really needed to get my work done. A loud crash interrupted me from my thoughts.

“SORRY!” I heard Melissa yell. She probably knocked something over while she was jamming out to their songs, I assumed.

I figured that I wasn't going to get any work done if I stayed here any longer, so I threw my books, pens, and notebooks in to my bag and slipped my cellphone in to my pocket and made my way out of my room.

“Where are you off to?” Melissa asked, turning down the radio. “To the coffee shop across the street. I can't get any reading done thanks to you,” I said grabbing my keycard from the top of the fridge. Melissa rolled her eyes and turned up the radio again, singing at the top of her lungs. I shook my head and locked the door behind me.

I made my way across the street noticing the bright street lights and people walking around. I always loved the evening. The sky was always a beautiful mixture of pink, oranges, and blues. There was a light breeze and the air smelled of home baked cookies. Cars rushed past me and birds flew across the sky forming the shape of a V. I smiled to myself as I pulled open the coffee shop's door. The rich scent of coffee attacking my nose immediately. I loved this place. There were big, comfy couches, round tables, and little booths all lined up on the left side of the shop. There was a long counter stretching all the way from the front of the shop to end, all lined up with delicious desserts, breads, and sandwiches. There were picture frames hung up on the walls everywhere of hand drawn and painted pictures of cafe-like things. The entire shop was cast over with a orangey glow from the lights and candles placed everywhere. All of it gave off a cozy and home-like feeling which always comforted me. I made my way over to the last both and took a seat, taking out all the necessary materials needed to finish my reading and note-taking.

“Can I get you something?” I looked up to see a waitress waiting to take my order. “I'll take a hot chocolate and buttered croissant, please.” I replied, smiling at her. She nodded and returned the smile making her way to the back of the shop. 10 minutes later, the waitress returned with my order. I decided to take a break from my reading to enjoy the delicious smelling food in front of me. I gazed out the window while blowing on my hot chocolate. I always had a tendency to burn my tongue while drinking hot chocolate, so I decided to be extra careful. As I looked beyond the mass of people and cars rushing by, I noticed a group of boys making their way out of a car. One of them looked up and caught me staring. I quickly averted my eyes to avoid any awkwardness. When I looked back to the spot where I had seen the group of boys, they all had disappeared, and the car was driving off. My phone lit up with a text. It was Melissa.

One Direction have finally arrived here!”

I quickly thought back to the boys I had just seen. Surely they couldn't be One Direction, considering they had just arrived. I shrugged off the thought when I noticed the time on my phone. 6:35p.m. I sighed to myself. I get distracted way too easily. I picked up my book and began reading from where I had left off. At about 8:15p.m I had managed to finish majority of the book and had taken about five pages worth of notes. Feeling proud of myself, I decided to pack up and make my way back to my dorm.