44.

When I awoke, my head felt fuzzy. But, I took in my surroundings and I realized I was in Mr. Winchester's hospital room.

"Good, you're awake. Let's have a talk, shall we?" Mr. Winchester said and I sat up in the couch I was placed on. There were bodyguards in the room, and two by the door. I glanced over at Mr. Winchester who was sitting up in his bed and eating some soup. He slurped a spoonful of soup, coughed a bit, but he kept his eyes on me.

"I know why I'm here," I spoke up and he raised an eyebrow. He grinned as he shoved some more soup into his mouth and used a handkerchief to dab at his lips.

"Really? Enlighten me."

"Ryan broke off his engagement. You believe that it has something to do with me, but Ryan and I already agreed we would never get together," I defended as I stood to my feet. Once again, I had to show weakness in front of Mr. Winchester. I clenched my fists at my sides and I stared at him as I waited for an answer. He quietly and slowly sipped on his soup.

"You told me in your last visit that you won't interfere with their marriage. But, his fiancée had a totally different story. When, she explained to me that you had visited his office a couple of times and you worked as a waitress there, and that she saw you guys together a few times, it really makes your statement invalid, doesn't it? If you really meant no harm, you wouldn't have gone into his office, now would you?"

I stayed quiet and his grin turned into a huge annoying smirk. My fists clenched tighter and my nails dug into my skin. I kept a small smile on my face as I watched him finish up his soup.

"I thought that we had understood each other, but I guess not. Every action has a consequence, Kimberly. You should know this, as children learn about this as early as elementary school. With every cause, there is an effect. So, you must take responsibility. You have two choices: your mother or Nathan."

I wasn't sure what he was offering, but I knew it was going to be harm. I couldn't choose, only because I wanted neither of them to get hurt. My mother gave birth to me and raised me, and that should be enough to have me choose, but Nathan... he was always there for me.

"Let's make a deal, Mr. Winchester," I proposed as I stepped forward. His bodyguards were more alert and watched me as I stood by his bed.

"I'm not here to make deals, Kimberly."

"You're a businessman, Mr. Winchester, until the day you die, so spare me your bullshit. I will choose, however, whatever you do to whomever I pick, you must do the same to Ryan."

His eyes widened slightly, before they relaxed and he sat there, staring at me straight into my eyes. He crossed his arms and his smirk turned into a frown. He sat there, tapping his finger against his arm and thought about it.

"You know, Kimberly. You're brave enough to even think that you had a choice to begin with. I'm not here to play silly games with you, and even if I did, I always win. I have power, you don't. It's as simple as that." He turned to one of the bodyguards by the door. "Go ahead and do both," he informed the bodyguard and they nodded, leaving the room and leaving the other bodyguard by the door.

"While I'm here, let's talk about Hailey," I said and he wore a bored look on his face. "Where is she?"

"With my wife, why does this concern you?"

"Oh, not that Hailey. I meant the other Hailey," I said and his eyebrows furrowed as he watched me. I walked back towards the couch, sitting on the arm of it. "She's not dead, is she?" If I could play my cards right, my family won't be affected.

"Of course she's dead, she committed suicide."

"Everybody else can believe she committed suicide, but do you think it fools me? She's out of the country, huh?" I crossed my leg over the other and I gave him a smirk. He began to cough up blood and I waited patiently. If I guessed right... No, I needed to guess right. "Germany, right?"