Chapter Three

"You look like hell." Kyle tells me as we stretch on the track. I wanted to snap and tell him that he would feel like this if he just had chemo yesterday, but I didn't say anything.

I will need to remember that this is just a normal day and not two days after my life ending diagnosis. They will think I'm going crazy if I start acting differently.

I hid my incisions under my workout clothes. Sweatpants hid the one on my knee and a hoodie for my chest. It was getting cold outside so thankfully everyone was dressed similarly. If it had been the middle of summer, this outfit would have been harder to justify.

"Knee just hurts." I eventually reply as I stand up. Coach chooses this moment to join us and start the usual warmups we did before going onto the field.

I keep most of my weight on my good leg as I try to hide the pain I was experiencing. I needed to keep my face in performance mode so everyone believes the story I am telling. I'm a princess on the field not a cancer patient.

When we take to the field, I forget the pain I was experiencing. It was still there but the joys of performing were enough. We did a full run through before the band came out. Everyone told me how great I looked on the field and I felt proud even though this wasn't the competition.

No one had to know I was told I wouldn't have much time left. They would remember me as the best soloist on the color guard team. That's what I needed to be remembered by. This was the legacy I would leave behind when I finally bit the dust.

We run through the routine about five more times before I put my flags away. It was time for Aunt Lisa to pick me up and bring me back to the hospital for more chemo. I only received two drugs yesterday because they knew I didn't feel good. They said we had plenty of time to get the drugs into my system.

I stand on the curb waiting for my aunt to pull up. I lean against my flag bag hoping it would keep me from experiencing more pain. I glance at my cell phone. It was ten minutes after practice technically ended but she wasn't showing up. Then a black car pulled up. The window rolls down and Connor, the intern, waves.

"You're aunt got held up at work so she sent me instead." I bite my lip wondering if this was really a good idea but decide that he works for the hospital and probably has no ill intentions towards me. "How was practice?"

"Better than ever." I reply trying to keep my emotions in check. It wasn't the pain that was making me feel weak and vulnerable. No, I was feeling the effects of my diagnosis. I was dying and I couldn't do anything about it.

"Are you excited for this weekend?" I nod not wanting to talk anymore. He glanced my way confused but then he knew from my expression that I was done talking about myself. I needed time to be alone with my thoughts before we pulled back into the hospital.

Eventually, we pull up to the hospital and he drops me off out front. It was surprising when I saw Daniel and Luke out front as if they knew exactly when I would be getting back. I hated to think that they've been waiting there all day.

"Let's get you up to your room." Luke puts his arm around my waist and helps me to the elevator. My strength failed me as if the world wanted to rest on my shoulders and crush me. Daniel trails behind us, probably having a difficult day also.

Nurse Marnie springs to action when she sees us come out of the elevator. She also seemed to be waiting for this to happen. Everyone seemed to be waiting for someone's life to end but then again, we were in a cancer ward.