Chapter Five

The voices of the interns awakened me around five the next morning. I rub my eyes sleepily as one of them starts to take my vitals. I was slowly waking up during this time but I was still exhausted from the day before. But today, I have another PET scan and Aunt Lisa promised to take me home so I could grab more of my things. I was going to be staying at the hospital full time, so I mine as well have the items I needed here.

"Kailey, we need to draw some blood sweetheart. I'm pushing your PET scan until tomorrow." Dr. Sadey was sitting on the edge of the bed as I blink away what remained of my sleepiness from my eyes. "If your levels have stabled, you'll be able to head home for a few hours. If not, we'll give you another transfusion to stabilize everything."

"I feel like a vampire." I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'll see you in four hours." Dr. Sadey leaves the room so the interns can do their job. All but Conner follow the doctor. He stays behind to get the blood sample and finish giving me my daily medications.

"No needle pricks right, now right?" I ask worriedly. They put in the port with a promise for less needle pricks but I wasn't feeling that promise yet

"Yes, I'm just using your port." I was thankful for that fact. "Are you hungry?" He asks after finishing drawing my blood. "I can take you down to the cafeteria if you want."

"I guess." I was a little skeptical of hospital food but my stomach was growling at me and I wanted to eat some real food for once.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The cafeteria was amazing. I was so happy with all the choices being offered to me. I eventually choose French toast and a parfait for breakfast. Conner also made me grab some orange juice before he pushed our trays to the cashier. They swiped my meal card and I was all set. I decided to eat at the table by the window because I could see the city before me.

"I'm going to go grab food, but I'll be right back." He promises as I start to eat my breakfast. I had a weird metallic taste in my mouth that made the orange juice taste horrible but everything else tasted good.

"Aunt Lisa!" I called as she came into the cafeteria. She smiles before coming my way.

"Did you wheel yourself down here?" She asks worriedly. I shake my head as Conner comes to our table. "Thank you for taking care of my niece. It helps me rest easier knowing that you are here if she needs you."

"She's my favorite patient." He responds with a smile. "I grabbed you a ginger ale. I had a feeling you didn't like it after I saw your facial expressions."

"It tastes metallicky." I respond thankful for the drink Conner got me. "This taste's so much better."

"I'm glad, my little fighter." Conner studies me as I finish downing the ginger ale.

"What time is your PET scan?" Aunt Lisa asks after she returns to our table with her own tray of food.

"They canceled it." I inform her as I steal one of her strawberries. "I might need another transfusion if my iron levels haven't stabilized." I reach to steal another one and she passes them to me.

"It's nice to see your appetite is still in tact." My aunt jokes as she watches me eat. "I was worried I wouldn't be seeing the real Kailey for a long time."

"I'm still here." I assure her as I continue to devour the red fruit. I watched the people go about their business in the streets below, not knowing that a girl was intruding on their day to today activities.