Chapter Six

"What did the scans say?" My Aunt asks as she makes her way into my room. The lights were off and I had the covers pulled close around my body. I didn't want to speak, shatter the happy bubble that seemed to surround my aunt.

She would know sooner or later that they were going to take my leg this week. I have no more time to waste, at least that's what Dr. Sadey and another surgeon told me. They said it was better to do it while we had a clean margin. They promised to leave enough of my leg to allow for a prosthetic.

"I don't want to talk about it." My voice broke as tears fell like waterfalls down my cheeks. My heart was breaking.

"Come here," she whispers as her arms open to pull me close. I moved over in my bed as I allowed her to envelope me in her embrace. I sobbed into her shirt as I tried to think of anything else.

She gently strokes my hair as we sit there in silence. No words would make any of this better. We both knew this fact so there was no point in trying.

Eventually, I dosed off. My Aunt dared not move me for fear of waking me from my slumber. I was too exhausted to fight the sleep that pulled me into its embrace. I must have slept for several hours before rounds started and the laughter from the room next door, pulls me from my dreamless state.

"Are you hungry?" Aunt Lisa asks as she hands me a cup of water. I reluctantly take it knowing I was going to be dehydrated from all the crying I've been doing. My aunt slips from the bed once Dr. Sadey and the surgeon come in.

"Kailey, how are you holding up?" Dr. Sadey asks and I shake my head. "I know how tough this decision can be, but we need to discuss the options while your aunt is here."

"You already told me the options. I either lose my leg and get another year or we don't amputate and I won't live to see my dad. You really haven't left me with a decision."

"Kailey," Aunt Lisa says my name in the most soothing voice but it didn't work.

"If you want to keep discussing the options, please don't do it while I'm in the room. I can't bare to hear you tell me that the only thing we can do is amputate." Dr. Sadey, the new surgeon, and my aunt leave the room to talk in the hallway.

At that moment, Mallory decides to text me.

Any news?

Amputation is scheduled for this coming week.

Do you need me to come over?

I thought about it for a moment, wondering if she would be able to make me feel better. Everyone wants to help but they really don't understand what's happening. I want someone who also is suffering from this stupid disease.

Please, my aunt just doesn't understand...

Let me ask my mom if she can drive me over.

I'll be there in tenish minutes.

Thank you! <3

An intern comes in to do our nightly routine: vitals, blood draw, and meds. They didn't say anything besides the usual questions. I could see the pity in her eyes as she gets ready to leave the room.

As she left the room, Mallory arrived carrying a stuffed rabbit and a wrapped gift. She smiles warmly at me as her mom tells us she'll be talking to my aunt outside the room.