Chapter 18

Jamie

Jamie Aarons rested her freshly cleaned forehead against the soft green fabric on her knees. She'd just taken a shower after working up a sweat in the gym earlier, and zoomed past Turner awkwardly. Now she was sitting in the corner of her room, scrolling through her feed on Facebook with her knees drawn up to her chest. She didn't know how to feel now that Turner had shown up with her brother. It felt like too much, Andrew in rehab, Declan and Thatcher ignoring her, and now him. He'd abandoned her without an explanation. It'd hurt so much, she'd have done anything just to understand his reasoning. Seeing his blond hair pushed back and the grin that showed his glistening white teeth was overwhelming. She missed him so much. 

A knock on the door made her look up, a greeting playing on her lips but the door opened before she could get a word in. 

"Hey," Turner said. He walked in, bare feet padding against the floor after he gently shut the door behind him.

"Hey," Her voice was soft, resigned and sad. She remembered their first date, him greeting her at the door in a dark blue button up shirt and a pair of khakis. That was then, she told herself as she thought back to how they'd matched, her wearing a dress in a similar shade of blue. This is now. She pinched her forearm to force herself to look him in the eyes. 

"Can I sit?" He gestured to the carpet in front of her. Jamie nodded, a bit hesitant. Was she finally going to get the answers she deserved? And if so, would things be awkward? She assumed that he'd be staying as long as her brother did, after all they did ride together. As her thoughts flickered to Jaden, she hoped he wouldn't be listening in.

They said nothing for a while, Jamie staring at the sleeves of the forest green robe she was wearing. You should've gotten dressed right away, she scolded herself. She was practically naked, not the ideal attire for dealing with an ex.

"I'm sorry," he said after a brief silence. His hand made contact with her knee, the slightest touch making the knot grow bigger in her stomach and spreading goosebumps down her arms. Turner scooted closer to her until he was sitting criss cross at her feet. If she got really angry, she'd have a direct shot at his crown jewels.

His touch, Jamie internally groaned, what I would give for him to hold me again. Thank God the sleeves are down. I can't let him see how he still effects me.

"What for?" Jamie asked snarkily. Her attraction was disguised as annoyance. And truth be told, she was  annoyed. She was pissed. How could he just leave her like that? No word except goodbye.

Her fingers closed in on the skin on her forearm again and they met eyes. His were dark, hiding his true emotions. There was a sudden movement and his hand encased the one that was pinching the other. He took it between his two hands and rested them on his knee. His two thumbs stroked up and down her palm. Part of her wanted to tear her hand away, but she didn't. It was endearing to see him care for her.

"I should never have left," he began. "Never should have left you in that way, and never should have left at all."

"Then why did you?" Jamie asked softly. His fingers stilled and his lips drooped deeper into a frown.

"I don't expect you to forgive me or even understand. But please, just listen." Turner looked at her, lines of worry etched on his handsome face.

Jamie slowly nodded. She was eager for the truth. It'd been over a month of nothing, and she wanted nothing more than to bury the hatchet. If they could at least be friends, she'd be fine with that. 

She watched as Turner stared at her dainty hand between his two huge ones. "I blamed myself for what happened with Andrew."

Jamie's mouth hung open in shock. Turner- to blame? Not even possible.