Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Jamie

What. The. Hell. Those were the three words that ran through Jamie's mind as she accepted the call from Turner.

"Hi, Turner." She sighed, her voice becoming small. Looking outside, she saw Thatcher hesitating by the car door. She waved at him to go, and reluctantly he did.

"Hey." His voice came on through the speaker.

"Hold on a second." She said and turned off the car. After putting the phone to her ear, she announced her return.

"So, I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Go on." Jamie looked down at her black nails.

"Well..." She could picture Turner scratching his nose, which is what he did whenever he was nervous or debating what to say. "I want to apologize to you."

Jamie stayed silent, and began toying with the end of her Batman shirt.

"So, here goes. I'm sorry. For everything." He paused, tension filling his voice. "I'm such an asshole. I honestly had no intention of hurting you, I know it seems bad because I broke up with you after what we did... but I was just pushing you away. I'm so sorry, Jamie."

She was lost for words. Again the words what the hell passed through her mind.

Jamie inhaled deeply before replying. "Look, I need some time to think. I'll call you later."

Turner began to protest on the other line, but Jamie cut him off by hanging up.

"Aggh!" She shouted in frustration then rested her head on the steering wheel. What the hell do I do? He was such a douche and now he's saying this bullshit about pushing me away?

Thatcher entered the car quietly, and handed her a pack of 5 gum along with a Mean Bean Monster drink. She took the items from him, both of them debating what to say. Instead of waiting for someone to awkwardly begin talking, Jamie turned the key where it rested in the ignition, and when the car roared to life, she put it in reverse, backed out of the lot, and continued their trek home.

At the third stoplight they reached, they finally stopped at a redlight, and that was when Jamie took the opportunity to open her pack of gum. Chewing on a minty stick of gum, she leaned against the headrest, the mint easing her growing headache. The light flashed green, and she immediately jumped back into action, pressing on the accelerator.

--

When they finally arrived back at the apartment building, Thatcher finally spoke up. After sitting in silence for the entire ride home, the pair was tense and irritable. So Thatcher decided to clear the air by saying, "Wow, did he make a Turner-round or what?" He grinned lopsided.

Jamie groaned, smacking her forehead. How does he even know about anything? He couldn't hear my conversation, right?

"Let's just go inside."

And with those four words, they opened the car doors, Jamie grabbing her shopping bags, and Thatcher closing the doors after her.

They walked up the stairs slowly, Jamie's feet groaning in protest, all the while, her grasp on the bag slipping. She could hear Thatcher's feet pounding on the stairs, racing up to catch her, his smooth hand brushing against hers and taking a bag.

"Thanks." Jamie said, and smiled weakly at him. Her head was pounding in thought. Why did he call? Why does he want to apologize now? Why not then? Do I even want to accept his apology? What am I going to do?