Chapter 10

"We're just going to have to trust our daughter and sister," Davy said quietly with a pointed look at his sons.

"What?" Art threw up his hands.

"Leave it alone," Davy replied.

Art looked at his brother and they both sighed.

"Trust your sister," Jane added as she and Davy went to the kitchen.

Art and Ash sighed again and nodded, but that didn't mean they had to like it.

Jasmine was glaring out the window of Butch's and Cassidy's office.

How dare those jerks think she was into something illegal! The cads!

"Hey, you okay?" Promises voice broke into her thoughts.

Jasmine smiled wanly at her.

"I'm just so pissed at them! I mean I work for the freaking FBI! How could they think I'm into some trouble?" Jasmine asked her voice sharp.

"There just protective of you. I wish I had that," Promise replied softly.

Jasmine winced.

"I am so sorry about my mom, I had no idea she was just going to blurt questions out like that," Jasmine apologized.

"It's cool," Promise shrugged with a smile.

"No it's not, she shouldn't have said a word but she went through it with Sam," Jasmine admitted.

Promise arched an eye brow.

Jasmine told her about Sam being beaten by his father because he was trying to protect his mom.

"Yeah, I heard the ending," Promise said sadly.

Jasmine sighed and looked away.

"Yeah, it was pretty horrible," She replied in a low voice.

"I'm so sorry," Promise murmured.

"The past is the past and if you tell anyone I talked to you about it, you'll live to regret it," Jasmine stood swiftly her glare levered on Promises face.

They were standing maybe an inch apart, their faces close, their expression fierce.

"Something wrong, ladies?" Sam asked stepping over to them.

"No." Promise gave a slight nod to Jasmine and moved away.

Sam stared after her then shook his head and turned to his wife.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"Art and Ash," Jasmine replied with a growl.

For a moment her eyes never left Promises retreating figure but then she sighed and smiled at her husband.

Kelly watched out of the corner of her eye as Promise moved away from Jasmine as Sam came over.

What was going on with those two? Kelly wondered silently.

"Hey," Butch slipped his arm around her.

Kelly smiled and leaned into him.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

Kelly looked at him with a 'are you stupid or what?' expression.

"Alright alright, stupid question. I meant is something wrong with you?" Butch muttered and rolled his eyes.

"It's just I get the feeling Promise isn't telling me something, that's all," Kelly shrugged indifferently.

"Like what?" Butch asked.