XXXVI

Holly's POV

We were all at the meadow by nightfall.

And by all, I mean all.

Every Alpha, Beta, Luna, scout, warrior and wolf who was willing to stand up and fight that could be here in a 4 hours notice was standing in a tactful place. Scouts hid behind the trees with archers and warriors in the trees. Alphas and Betas from all over were waiting three miles in any direction waiting for one of their pack members to give them the mind link to come. Lunas were at the pack house also waiting for signals from their mates that they were needed.

There were only 2 people up front. Ulijana and Nova. I stood up in a tall tree with Luke on the branch opposite me and Kian in the tree next. We had left Lacey in the pack house with Luna Catherine and the others, much to her and Mike's relief. I thought she could be useful against the vamps but no one else thought using the human as a distraction was smart.

I'm hoping that she'll come if we need her later, just a few drops of her blood would be so useful in battle.

Luke was the first to smell the vamps, I looked to him and he mind linked me.

30 meters to the south and coming fast.

And Kayla and Tyler?

Look down, little sis.

Of course.

Looking down I could see that Nova and Ulijana were face to face with Kayla, I couldn't make out what they were saying because it wasn't out loud, oracles can communicate with each other the way pack members or mates can.

The vamps got close enough for everyone waiting to smell them, Kayla turned to the trees and ushered someone forward. 2 large vampires came out of the trees. She told them to take Ulijana and Nova.

We all jumped into action the moment that they took another step forward, Mike gave the howl that told us it was okay to begin the fight. Luke and I shared half a glance before we were both in the middle of the meadow where our sister had been a few seconds earlier.

"Where did they go," I asked him as I frantically looked around.

"I don't know," he took my shoulders and moved me to the left so I was out of the way of a neighboring battle," You track them and I'll watch your back."

I nodded stiffly and knelt down. The snow was still gone from earlier but the ground was cold as ice. My fingers swept at the spot Nova's shoe prints indented and I sniffed the residue on them to provide with a scent.

With that smell in mind I stood up and concentrated on it through the insanity around me. Nova's scent mixed in with every other one out there. I couldn't tell the difference between her and the gray wolf laying limply to the side or the vamp in front of me or-

Shit, the vamp in front of me.

He ran at me and I just barely managed to side step him. When he came back around I was more prepared but that didn't help the fact that I was better with brains than brawn and this guy doesn't seem up for a spelling bee right now.

I focused on what I'd learned. He keeps his right hand forward, suggesting that he's left handed. By the looks of his eyes- vampire eyes start off as a light red, almost pink color but darken over time- he must be fairly new to the undead life.

When he came at me again I was ready. He swung at me with his left hand and I grabbed it with my right, pushing it down just enough to catch him off balance. Freshly imprinted bite marks were on his neck. He was turned hours ago. I pulled his arm back up to my mouth and took a deep bite into it. He screamed in pain and gripped his arm to which I replied by spitting out part of his forearm.

Kian ran up behind him and grabbed his head, "Don't play with the enemy, Babe, we've got to get busy."

"He started it."

He flashed me a loving smile before ripping off the vamps head and throwing it at my brother's opponents. A girl and a boy were tag teaming him, probably to keep his attention off me while this douche tried to kill me. An idea popped into my head.

"Kian, tell Luke I'll be right back."

He nodded before going to help Luke with his problems. I raced back to the pack house to get something stronger of Holly's but it still had to smell of Tyler. The moment I stepped into her room I noticed that it stunk of him anyway so I grabbed a blouse out of her closet that smelled particularly of him.

He must have stolen it.

Figures.

I tied the shirt on my wrist and ran around the fight to the other side where Nova had vanished to. Taking deep breaths I focused on the mixture this time, both vampire and wolf as she'd been taken by a vamp and their scents would be mixed on the trail.

I followed the scent.

Nova's POV

The place that the vampires took us to was just like it had been in my vision; dark, cold, deathly silent, there was a sacrificial area up in front with Kayla laid on it already. She was stabbed and dying there, knife still protruding from her throat. Her head turned to us and her lip wobbled as she tried a smile but failed entirely, her beautiful brown eyes looked so tired as the hair stuck to her sweaty brow. She's just barely alive thanks to her wolf's strength and healing.

What happened to her? We saw her minutes ago, Uli said through our link. On cue a photo copy of Kayla stepped out from behind a wall with an identical knife to the one in her twin's gut in her nimble fingers.

I know for a fact that Kayla will hit anything she aims at. My hands went over my pup at the sight bringing a satisfied smirk to her lips.

"Don't worry about me, Nova. We all know that it's not me who kills your pup. It's your precious mate."

"He wouldn't do that to me- to us."

"He will now that he knows the truth."