Chapter 20: "I'm Going To Steal the Declaration of Independance." "Iconic."

And I said: hey, hey

Lights snapped on.
A radio in the corner buzzed alive with a crackle, pop, pop popping.

If crazy equals genius

They flickered, sputtering to life inside the dark room, focusing on a single spot in the centre: a wooden, ornate table.

The crew gathered round, bright lights flashing, dancing, growing, their shuffling footsteps echoing in sync.

Hey, hey, if crazy equals genius

A single bandaged hand slammed down on the dark red and brown rickety table with a wince, a map with messy red circles enveloping and increasing around a particular space on the left rolling out, other hands grasping the edges and holding them down to examine.

"Here."

Then I'm a fucking arsonist, hey

Heads turned, tense, alert.

I'm a rocket scientist

"That's where the last trade was made." A finger, jabbing, pointing. It was urgent, it seemed. So much so that the hand trembled. Not out of fear but hype. "Here's the others; at least, every one that I can trace. It's closing around a central area. Which means one of two things. One, I'm guessing it's gotten more risky so they're closer to home, rather than farther away. Reverse psychology? Who knows, who cares. Anyways, two, it's a trap." Spinning. A smirk. Then, off topic, "I've always wanted to make one of these."

A series of papers, tacks and string stretched across an entire wall and showed all information the group had on their target. Some nods. Laughter. A, "same."

Hey, hey, if crazy equals genius

"Point is, either way, we have to be there. Trap or not, we're done running. Done planning. Time to take action. If it is, indeed, a trap, we react accordingly. I have two people who promised to show up when I needed them and well, they haven't let me down yet. They'll be there. Also, I should address the fact that some of you are used to teams. Some of you work alone. However, when we strike, we strike as a team, is that clear?"

"As crystal," someone said.

"We strike as one. And we kick ass."

You can set yourself on fire

Whoops and hollers. A few hell yeah's. A damn straight. Some more grins.

But you're never gonna burn, burn, burn

Turning back towards the others, away from the map, away from the wall conspiracy thing. A hitching breath. "I'll be dead honest. I don't know the end. Shit, I have half a plan. I still have calls to make. Still have a risky meeting to attend. But I swear to you whatever happens, this will decide the fate of the end game. Because something bigger is happening here. This isn't just humanity. This is the future. This is . . . this is survival." Grim faces. Set faces. Determined faces. "This is justice. This is setting things right. This is fighting for what we know is true. They won't bully anyone anymore. Not us, not the innocent, not the helpless. Whether we win or lose, we put them to a screeching stop and we wreck them for all they're worth.

Hey

"You know a wise man once said, or rather, a man once quoted a wise man and said, 'If there's something wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action.' And here we are, with the ability and responsibility to take action." A cough. "But of course, we are not here to steal the Declaration of Independence, are we?"