Chapter 1: Be More Chill

It's not fun.

When all your knuckles crack except one and you have to try and convince yourself to be a sensible human being and resist the urge to break your own finger.

Unfortunately, you weren't even trying to be sensible anymore and you were putting so much pressure on your thumb you weren't sure you would care if it broke.

Well, you would care but the thought hadn't crossed your mind.

Just as you managed to succeed in cracking your thumb, a voice smashed through your thoughts. "Time for another interrogation," they said, and bluntly too. Only one person would do that.

"Agent Melinda May," you acknowledged with a tip of your head, "nice to hear from you too."

A huff on the intercom. "Don't be late."

The door that connected your dreary, black padded cell to the interrogation room in the Fridge opened with a bit of a hissing noise and you watched it rise warily.

"I'm never late. I'm changeable, but not late." You started to laugh. "Sorry boys! I'm so changeable."

Your laughter echoed throughout the cell, and for a moment you wondered if you were faking your actions or if you had actually become so insane even the insane didn't want to claim you. With a shrug you put on your worn out, dark grey with red lace Converse, and stretched.

Your outfit consisted of mostly dark gray except the shield symbol stop your SnapBack that happened to be red.

It might as well be the Hydra symbol, heh. You snickered and clapped slowly to yourself. (Is that why you didn't have friends?)

Standing quietly for a moment, you walked over to the corridor and although Converse weren't usually sinister, they seemed to be now as each footstep brought you closer to the other door where the team waited that you'd gotten to know so well over five years and many visits.

But as you paused, hand on the door, you blinked.

And in a flash remembered your first interrogation, on Coulson's plane before being dropped off at the Fridge.

***

"What did you want to be when you grew up?" Grant Ward leaned forward, staring into your eyes.

He would've been intimidating, except you'd gotten over your small fright from earlier when they captured you and currently were just rolling with whatever S.H.I.E.L.D. tossed your direction. Once you had, you'd regained not only your confidence, but your sarcasm.

You snapped your fingers lazily, since they were hardly mobile, being cuffed to the table and all. "Not you."

Ward rolled his eyes. "Come on, (your name). It's not that hard to answer the questions."

You gasped. "Oh? I hadn't realized." You, who had also been leaning forward, leaned back as far as you could go. "They're stupid questions."

Silence.

Just above a whisper you answered, "I wanted to be different. I wanted to show the world I was different."

"There." Ward took a deep breath. "Alright, next question. How'd you get your thing? Your power?"

"Mom and dad: Scientists. Me: bored genius. Sociopath. Genius? Eh. They made an ice power machine." You grinned, tapping your fingers together. "I touched it."

Grant coughed. "You knew what could possibly happen?"

"I did. And I counted on it."