Chapter 9: Gonna Raise the Stakes, Gonna Smoke You Out

Demons Run.

Instantly, you knew it was a reference. You knew the lines, you knew the show.

Only now, it wasn't just a reference. It was an organization, striking fear into the souls of the fearless.

The whispered words came from your lips before you could stop them, a cloud of fog resting in the cold bunker air.

"Demons run when a good man goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun. When a good man goes to war, friendship dies and true love lies. Night will fall and the dark will rise, when a good man goes to war. Demons run but count the cost. The battle's won but the child is lost."

Collapsing on the ground in shock, you griped the package, staring at the written words that seemed to mock your very existence and thought process. "No."

This wasn't him. Couldn't be. He was dead.

Then how else do you explain this?! Your brain demanded, throwing you back in gear. Get your head in the game! It's him!

No! This wasn't him! He was different, he was...not...like this...ever.

Staggering out of the bunker, you heard another whoosh, and Pietro was there, helping you stand.

"(Your name), what's wrong?"

"Ever seen those Hydra agents leaving with those packages? I found out where they go." You held up the package, weakly, and gestured to the name on the side.

Pietro shrugged. "So?"

"Damn it, Pietro! It's important!" That's when you realized he didn't know much about Shield. Hydra was his home, and you were his friend. Demons Run didn't exist to him, nor did it matter. "I-I'm sorry. I just...uh, need some sleep or something."

He raised an eyebrow, and you nodded, trying to convince yourself that's what you needed. But both of you know that wasn't what it was.

Finally you engaged. "Okay, let me explain. Where we are now, this is Hydra, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Well there's another organization, and they're called S.H.I.E.L.D. Don't know what that stands for, I just think someone really wanted it to spell shield. Anyway, them and Hydra aren't the best of friends. And to the world, Shield is the good guys and Hydra is the bad."

"...Okay." Wow, he took that well. "What does this have to do with your package?" He asked, spinning it around in his hands.

"Demons Run. You see the name?" He nodded. "This place doesn't even exist, except to a few secretive agent in Hydra, one or two in Shield possibly, and the people who run the organization itself. Hardly anyone knows about it. But it's beginning to create conflict, and they're looking for something. That's why Hydra is providing them with these gifts."

"Why does this worry you? It does not seem to be any of your business." Pietro walked around, examining the dusty package and tossed it back your way.

"Long story...but apparently it is my business. My name was on a charred message. And, I think I've been invited."

That's when the voice in your head started to laugh, the distant clapping of hands ringing in your ears.

Good show, Ice Box. Good show.

And just when you thought it had stopped, the sinister teasing remained.

Positively brilliant.

Growling, you tried to tune it out, walking forward. When it did stop, you continued on your way to your room. At least you weren't being tested on and they left you in peace besides the Maximoffs.
Well, at least, so far.