Chapter 13: Gesundheit

[Through the Eyes of You]

I'm sorry.

The person you are trying to reach is unavailable at the moment.

Please leave a message at the sound of the beep.

Beep.

You set the phone down, ending the call, while contemplating what you had even phoned the person for. It was a long process, one which surprised you, and in your head you attempted to sort out the events taking place before the call.
But everything was blurry, and you frowned in disgust.

Of course, that was when you realised a very frightening thing.
You didn't even know who'd been phoning.

Fearing the worst, you spun on you heels to see a darkness rising up behind you, eyes piercing the black with a deep blood red along with a malicious grin. It's hands reached out for your chest, and you came to conclude it was reaching for your soul.

Diving away, you rolled and stood, panting. What was going on?

A deafening roar shook the room you were in, the shadow creature coming around for you once more. And while the eyes held a menace, there was a happy glint, as if the creature was finally free of something or just enjoyed the thrill of the hunt.

You grimaced, deciding to run. You dashed forward and out a door, continuing to race anywhere where the evil phantom wasn't. Past other houses, through a spurt of traffic.

Yet, after your every attempt, it kept pace. It never relented, it's demonic face always near yours as a reminder of your failed, and failing, escape from its presence.

Closer and closer. Your heart was pounding, the blood had rushed to your ears. It thumped inside, the noise persisting like your breathing which was becoming ragged.

And then...it was gone.

Just...gone.

Everything. Not just the demon mist, everything. The cars, the roads. The sky, the ground.

Nothing remained; just you.

Listen.

Out of the nothing a voice spoke.

Listen.

This time a piece of chalk rolled your direction and you hesitantly picked it up, turning to find a blackboard to your left. Quietly you set down the piece of chalk and called out to the nothing.

"Hello?"

Listen.

"Is, is somebody out there? Out there...in the nothing?"

LISTEN!

"I...I thought I was alone...?"

No words spoke out to you now, it was dead silent. If you were to listen, there was nothing to listen to.