Chapter 24

Newt woke me up early this morning so I could send Thomas and Minho off into the maze. Newt offered to meet me at the wake up so I could have a few moments alone for now. Minho and Thomas were walking to the doors of the maze when I finally caught up to them.

"Hey girly," Minho smirked when he saw me running over. I wrapped my arms him in a tight hug and pulled him down to me because of his incredible height, just like every other boy in the Glade for some reason.

"As always, be safe and come back to me in one piece." I pulled out of the hug and forced him to look directly at me. "I believe in you, Min."

I looked over at Thomas and smiled. "I trust you, Tommy. Please don't give me false hope about this." When the rumbling of the doors began, I stepped away from the boys. "I'll be waiting for good news."

"And we'll bring some back," Thomas smiled at me with rosy cheeks. I smiled back at him while feeling my stomach twist and turn. The way he said it made him seem so confident, like he knew something good was going to happen today. Maybe he was right, maybe good news will come today.

"Remember Thomas," Minho said hitting his chest with the back of his hand, "never stop running." In seconds, they ran through the open doors with their loud footsteps being the only noise I could hear.

I hesitated at the doors for a moment before turning around and walking to the kitchen where Newt would be waiting for me along with the other boys. I was nervous today for Thomas since it was his first day as an official runner. He had all this pressure building on him after the big scene he made with running into the maze and the new girl.

I would make sure that at least once today I would speak to her and see how she was doing with all this since I'm sure Thomas didn't do the best job at explaining the Glade to her.

I walked into the crowded kitchen where boys were waiting in the long line for a scoopful of Frypan's unsalted eggs and hopefully a strip of bacon. My eyes scanned the room for a minute before they fell on the head of messy blond hair that I was looking for.

His contagious smile filled his face while he ran over to me. A few boys snickered at how eager he was to see me while others groaned at him for being so energetic so early in the morning. Either way, none of these boys were morning people.

He grabbed my hips and immediately pressed our lips together for the second kiss of the morning. "Are you hungry?"

I nodded in response and slipped my arm around his waist while he held onto my shoulders. We went to the end of the line with our circular dishes in hand, enjoying mindless conversation with the three boys in front of us.

We eventually got to the front of the line where Newt was given a large scoopful of eggs and was handed one strip of bacon. I was given a half sized scoop and two strips of bacon that Fry said was a special request from the Second-in-Command. I nudged Newt a little while still smiling at the small gesture he made just to make this morning seem a little less stressful.

We took our seats across from Chuck and listened to him ramble on about how he showed Thomas his small figurine last night. Newt reminded him of the rule of no speaking to a boy locked in the slammer but Chuck just laughed it off and said it wasn't a big deal.

"Hey, where's the girl?" I asked noticing she wasn't at any of the open picnic tables with us.

"After she talked to Thomas yesterday she wanted to be alone for a while so she went back to the Med-jacks hut. She's probably still there now," Newt explained with his mouth full of food. I glared at him for speaking with his mouth full but he just laughed and shrugged his shoulders.