Chapter Twenty-Four

I do not own Teen Wolf.

The Dance

I looked good. I did, really. Lydia and I had driven for almost an hour to get to a quality nail salon ("The best ones don't speak any English at all," Lydia had told me) and now that I had a two-week no-chip guarantee I felt unstoppable.

The dress was pretty nice too. It hugged my shoulders and torso down to my waist where it puffed out a little to my knees, a crazy and elegant mix. Something Audrey Hepburn would have worn if they'd had watercolour print back then. Rolling my thin shoulders back and pushing my curled hair away from my face, I gave myself one more look-over. I was ready.

I was going to go to this dance, and jam out to Bohemian Rhapsody, and spin around until my makeup was coming off in beads of sweat, and I was going to kiss my boyfriend and hug my best friends. I was going to pretend that none of this werewolf stuff ever happened. Tonight, I will be a regular teenage girl, and it's going to fucking rock.

And at the end of the night, Stiles will drive me home, and we're going to kiss and think about the next time we get to see each other. And our hearts are going to race when we climb into bed and think about our amazing, supernatural free night. Because that's what people do when they're in love. And I think I'm in love.

-----

The dance was everything I'd imagined. There were streamers and balloons and dim disco lights, and Coach Finstock was walking around with a yard stick to slap students who got out of line. Dylan Peters winced as he massaged his ass, glaring at his coach along with the freshman girl he'd been all over.

"You look beautiful." Stiles said, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his fancy suit. His bow tie was crooked and his shirt was a little crinkly, but his sideways smile made up for all of his little imperfections.

"You've told me." I nodded raising my eyebrows and rocking on the balls of my feet. "A couple of times, actually." I added, breaking out into a smile and grabbing his arm. Stiles stumbled a bit as I yanked, trying to get him to follow me.

"Wh-what are you doing?" He asked, perplexed but hesitantly following me.

"Come on, I can't watch my boyfriend shake his cute little ass? What a rip off." I mocked him, pulling him in the direction of the dance floor.

Stiles glanced around, trying to get a look at his quote un quote "cute little ass" but none the less let me lead him into the throngs of dancing teenagers. It smelled like BO and Bath and Body Works perfume, and I could honestly not care less.

"I don't know how to dance." Stiles objected, pulling away nervously. I laughed and rolled my eyes, grabbing his hands and linking our fingers together.

"There's no how, Stiles. There just is." I giggled, pulling him towards me and twisting my hands around the front of his shirt.

"What does that mean?" He asked, wrinkling his nose.

"Do you trust me?"

"Y-yes."

"Why?"

"I don't know, I just do."

"Okay," I reasoned, smiling up at him. "Life is a game, a game of trust. And you can't always know who to trust or why, but you have to choose to trust them and learn, or not trust them and never know." I explained, tilting my head.

"Sooo....?"

"Soooo dance and learn how, or don't dance and never know if I'm better at the sprinkler than you."

"I will always be the best at the sprinkler."

We danced (badly) through about ten songs before Finstock began yelling at Scott- when he showed up, I couldn't tell you- for dancing with Danny.

"Come here, McCall!" Finstock yelled, trying to chase Scott across the gym. I snorted, watching his shirt ride up as he actually exerted effort for once. What a change for him.

"McCall, you're not supposed to-" He froze, then, "what the hell are you-"

"Yes, Coach?" Scott asked innocently, holding Danny a little closer to him. My hand flew to my mouth to hold in the laughter that was seconds from burbling up. The music stopped abruptly and everyone froze, watching it all unfold.

"Okay, hold on-" Finstock laughed nervously, glancing around at everyone watching. "No, I was just saying that he's not supposed to... I wasn't saying that he shouldn't-" He stuttered out. I laughed, there was literally no way out for this guy. It was great. Finally Finny got what was coming to him and his loud mouth. "you guys don't think... I was just- Dance! Everybody! Just dance, it's a... dance. It's a party!" He improvised, throwing his hands up in the air in exasperation and glaring at my brother before walking away.

Looks like the gay rights activist gods were shining down on him tonight. Amen.

I grabbed Stiles' hands and pulled him off of the dance floor. We found a table and Stiles' left his jacket with me before going to grab two drinks. I watched Scott and Allison find each other on the dance floor, my heart aching to be with Stiles as I watched them smiling sheepishly. They were so in love. I wanted that. I think... I had that. Was that what Stiles and I were like? Was that how he looked at me?

"Let's go get some air, yeah?" I asked as soon as two cups of pink liquid touched the table. I wanted to tell him now, as soon as I could.

"Oh- uh, yeah, okay." Stiles stuttered, grabbing his coat and pulling it on before sliding his fingers into mine and leading the way outside. We walked quietly along the path to the lacrosse field, a cool breeze flicking my curls around my face.

The field lights were out and it was almost impossible to see, the only light coming from the moon and a splattering of stars above us. I took in the curve of Stiles' jaw, his dark eyelashes, and his round lips in the shadows. He was perfect, and I couldn't describe the warm feeling that filled my stomach. I stopped, standing on my toes and pressing my hand to his cheek. I pressed my lips to his gently before pulling away, squeezing his hand in mine.

"What was that for?" He asked after a pause. I bit my lip, glad that he couldn't see my eyes.

"I was thinking, actually, uh-" I cut myself off, sucking a breath in through my nose. He made me so nervous, this boy that I'd known my whole life, this boy who could barely dress himself and took way too much Adderall and had no coordination whatsoever, and yet he still made me so impossibly nervous.

"Stiles, I lo-" This time the loud clang and flash of light as the field lights turned on interrupted me. I spun around, ready to bitch out whoever ruined this sudden burst of confidence. But instead I let out a shrill scream.

"Lydia!"

Who can guess what happens next? Two more chapters!