Chapter Two

/ / t w o / /

"I can't go to school." I mumbled when Scott tried to wake me up the next morning.

"Why not?" Scott asked gently, sitting on the end of his bed. I'd promoted the idea of us going into the woods with Stiles last night, leading to Scott losing his inhaler, getting bitten by a fox or something, and convincing my best friend's dad that we'd been sneaking around and doing... naughty things together for the past few months. And Scott still was being nice to me.

"I have braces, Scott. I'm fifteen and I have braces. Nobody has braces anymore." I complained. Scott sighed, patting my leg gently under my puffy duvet.

"You look fine, Jessa. Plenty of people have braces." Scott tried to assure me.

"Stiles, Lydia, Jackson, Danny, Dylan, Isaac, Evie, you.... nobody has braces, Scott!" I complained, pressing my face into my pillow. Scott sighed again, rubbing my leg soothingly.

"Jessa, they're clear! You can't even see them! Nobody will notice or care. Stiles didn't!" Scott pointed out, and I sighed, nodding and pushing my blankets away and sitting up.

"Fine, get out, I'll get ready. You suck." I grumbled, getting up and shoving Scott out of my room. I'd been complaining about my life for the past three months since I got braces, even though I was only going to have them for six months to "fix things up a bit."

I grabbed the outfit Lydia and I had planned last night before I was almost attacked by Stiles and pulled it on, examining myself in the mirror. We'd gone with a completely fitted beige lace dress that had three-quarter sleeves and reached about mid-thigh, which I'd paired with a pale pink cardigan and a long brown pendant. I'd pulled my pink and white lacey socks up so they peaked out of the top of my knee-high lace-up brown boots, the white lace making my already naturally tan skin look darker.

The clock showed that I had about ten minutes until Stiles would be here to pick me up- I liked to stay as long as I could, whereas Scott would leave early on his bike. I ran a brush through my black wavy hair, wrapping a few pieces around the curling iron and letting them hang around my face. I did my makeup and used some mouth wash quickly before grabbing my dark brown leather bag over my shoulder and heading quickly down the stairs.

There was a honk outside signaling Stiles' arrival, and I grabbed my phone off the charger and my History textbook, which was lying on the counter with my bag, and dropped it into my tote before locking the door and climbing into Stiles' jeep. I was always pushed into the back when we drove Scott, so I had a plan to wear my tightest dresses and shortest skirts on days when I wouldn't have to climb into the back.

"Hey, Stiles!" I chirped, pulling the door shut and buckling my seatbelt.

"Hey- uh- um- Jessa." Stiles stuttered, trying to start the car but missing the ignition because he was just... staring at me. I smirked, reaching over and turning the key for him. Stiles snapped back to reality and blushed, grabbing the wheel and driving off in the direction of school. "You look, uh... nice." Stiles settled finally.

"Thanks, you look pretty cute too." I complimented, taking in the semi-fitted grey shirt and jeans Stiles had opted for. Stiles blushed a splotchy red, smiling triumphantly and turning into the school parking lot.

"You have fourth lunch, right?" He clarified as he pulled into a parking spot next to Jackson's Porsche. I nodded, glancing over my schedule again.

"Yeah, I do. I've got English with you first hour, too. But I'm meant to be getting a new locker so I'll probably be late." I added, seeing the note written by our counselor on the bottom of my schedule.

"Nice, Scott's in there with us too. Speaking of, has he shown you his bite yet? Is it gross?" Stiles asked, hopping out of the car. I was too busy trying to get my schedule away in my bag again, so when I reached for the door and it opened for me, I was a bit surprised to see that Stiles had come and gotten me. It was awkward and gentlemanly and kid of sweet. I shoved the thoughts aside, smiling and thanking him as I climbed out.