Chapter One

"I'm going to have to call you back in a minute, okay?" I said quietly into the phone, turning my ear towards the door and setting my dress carefully on my large double bed, trying to move as little as possible.

"Yeah. See you in Chemistry, probably." Isaac replied. I made a noise of acknowledgment before hitting the end button on my phone and sticking it in the pocket of my jeans- new bootcuts from Madewell that I was in love with- and held my breath, flinching when I heard another creak.

"Scott?" I called out hesitantly, my voice admittedly sounding weaker than I would liked to admit.

"Go to sleep, Jessa!" Scott grumbled back from his bedroom next door. My eyes rolled and I bit my lip, giving my room a once over before grabbing the closest thing to a weapon I had- a studded shoulder bag. I grabbed my History textbook as an afterthought and zipped it into the bag, maybe it would help a little more if the bag had a bit more punch.

If Scott wasn't going to protect me, I'd have to do it for myself.

My hands shook as I slowly went down the stairs, skipping the ones that creaked as best I could and clutching my sad excuse for a weapon with all that I had. The house was eerily dark, but I didn't want to make a sound or turn on the lights in case whoever was outside decided to leave.

I checked out the window by the front door, and even though I saw nothing I heard the unmistakable creak of footsteps outside. This was it, I was going to get murdered. I was going to get really murdered. But that thought didn't stop me from gently unlocking the door and stepping out onto the front porch, my heart picking up enough speed to fuel a fighter plane.

"Don't kill me, not in my new jeans." I mumbled lamely to myself, following the creaks around the side of the house in the cold, dark night. Then I saw him, a tall and slim figure with wide shoulders. If I made it out alive I'd at least be able to say he was wearing flannel.

Suddenly, my foot slipped and landed with a quiet thud, and the stranger whipped around just as I raised my bag and swung, a loud scream emitting from my lips.

"Holy God, Jessa!" Stiles jumping back, barely escaping the indentations my studded bag were sure to leave in his arm. I let out a sigh of relief that I wasn't about to be raped and cut into tiny pieces before dropping my bag and instead going at Stiles with my bare hands, slapping every inch of him as hard as I could. Stiles flinched and twitched and jerked away from me, trying to escape my wrath.

"You, complete, idiot!" I said between slaps. There was the pounding of footsteps before Scott appeared around the corner, his arms raised over his head where he had a baseball bat poised at the ready to beat the crap out of whoever was potentially violating me. Scott's arms slacked when he saw me beating his best friend, the baseball bat falling to his side, his chest heaving with laboured breathing.

"Stiles, what the hell?" Scott asked while I continued to lunge at him, wrapping his hand around my arm and pulling me away from the twitchy boy.

"You weren't answering your phone!" Stiles defended, raising his arms protectively as I lunged again. "Why do you have a bat?" He directed at Scott, deciding to ignore my designer bag and US History textbook abandoned on the floor.

"I thought you were a predator!" Scott shot back, pulling me back again. "Why the hell did you come down here by yourself, Jessa?" Scott asked like I was stupid. I pouted and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Uh, you were trying to get a good nights' sleep, like that'll get you on first line." I scowled. Scott glared at me, and I instantly softened. "But how much you've been practicing might." I added, giving my twin brother- who was older by a while two minutes- an apologetic smile.