Chapter 16

"There's been a change of plan," whispered Anya into the phone. She walked into the next room to make sure she wasn't overheard.

"What do you mean?" Replied Mercedes.

"Your Jake's got wind of the group."

"What, you mean Bilderberg?"

"Not only that, he suspects my clandestine plot."

"I wouldn't worry too much about Jake, he'll unwittingly do our bidding, more out of greed, and glory for himself, than the likes of you or me," replied Mercedes.

"Yeah, I know, but I'm seeing a side to him that worries me," she said, looking over her shoulder, walking into the grounds. "He's very determined to get the go ahead from Curtis, but the thing that disturbs me is, knowing about Bilderberg has made him all the more insistent in getting Curtis to agree, and the article published."

"Well then, there's nothing for it. You know what you're going to have to do."

"Look, Mercedes, may I remind you of the fact that you getting a slice of the action in the first place is down to me, so you don't need to remind me of what I need to do! Don't forget that I've got more to lose out of doing this than you. You and your cohort only have to play along, and you'll get what was agreed, but only on the proviso, it doesn't reach publication. If that happens all hell will break loose, and you can wave goodbye to your fortune, and boyfriend."

"Well, as l said before, you know what you've got to do, or is that the thing that's getting you worried? Surely, it's minor in comparison. I'll tell you what, though, Liz had a great idea, when you seduce him, just envisage he's covered in hundred dollar bills. It'll make it all the more bearable."

"I don't know whether I can bring myself to seduce him, and I don't think imagining him plastered in hundred dollar bills will work for me either. I'm working on an alternative plan, but if I'm stumped, I'll call."

"I see," said Mercedes feeling vulnerable. "What are you afraid of?"

Anya looked around to make doubly sure she wasn't overheard. "I haven't seduced anyone before. I suppose I could at a push, but I just keep thinking that there's still nothing to stop him from still going ahead, and getting the article published anyway," she said feeling anxious. "He could have an attitude of, having his cake and still eating it."

"Okay, well, there is a saying in Britain, it goes something like, 'close your eyes, lie back, and think of England', or, in our case 'lie back and think of the money'. I reckon you'll have him eating out of the palm of your hand. Like I said, just imagine all those lovely greenbacks."

"But Jake doesn't strike me as being that kind of man. I mean, he seems loyal ... Anyway, I've already tried, and it doesn't work."

"You have?" Replied Mercedes put out. "What happened?"

"He got scared, finished leaving me high and dry. Now, I can't even look him in the eye; I'm so embarrassed. He's got his annoying habits, but he's quite a likeable, and a loyal man, deep down." There was silence on the other end of the phone. "You're in his good books at the moment," she added. "I think you should come up yourself. Your being here might just tip the scales in our favour."

"It's sad to say, but my powers of persuasion are fast dwindling, whereas, yours appear to be in the ascendancy," replied Mercedes. "No, I think we'd be compromising ourselves too much if I showed up on the scene just now. Anyway, he might get a little suspicious if I suddenly appeared. No, let's keep it the way it is, you're doing an excellent job."

She heard a branch snap a little way off in the grounds, and quickly turned around eyeballing the area. She stopped still for a moment, listening. Even Mercedes heard it from the other side of the phone, "What was that?" she asked.