Chapter 11

"You don't have to write this article you know, I'm not that much of an interesting person, to be honest. Don't have much to say," added Curtis as they made their way through the trees.

"Curtis, believe me, you're a fascinating character. For someone who can create something out of nothing, I would say you've got a lot to share with this world."

Jake continued, "in my line of work, you can imagine that I meet all sorts of people, but they seem to have one thing in common, to be the success that they are, they've gone out and done it their way."

"So, what are we talking about Jake, industrialists, entrepreneurs, media moguls?"

"Sure, and they've all got their stories to tell, but they're rarely happy. To use one of my girlfriend's expressions, they've 'always got bigger fish to fry' round the corner, never satisfied with what they've got. Whereas, you strike me as someone who is happy, successful, and content."

"Ah, that's because I think 'acceptance' is one of the hardest words to acknowledge. One rarely gives any consideration, or understanding to the art of being 'satisfied', and then there's always the danger of that person acquiring negative attributes like greed, control, and selfishness. All, because they fear to lose what they didn't have in the first place."

"You see? That's a great example, and that's exactly what I mean. It's what makes you such an intriguing character. You've got a story to tell like anybody, but just like your books, you can weave profound messages into the interview by me, and reach out to an even larger audience."

"But you're freelance; there's no guarantee that the story will even get published, let alone read."

"I've got contacts in the industry. I've been in journalism ever since I graduated from Columbia. I've worked for Fortune and Forbes over the years before branching out on my own. Anyway, you forget one thing, a mystery always sells, and you're probably the best-known mystery on this planet at the moment."

"Oh, I wouldn't go as far as saying that, but what's in it for you, other than getting an exclusive?"

"Well, to be honest, I'm pretty bored with the industry. It's just the same old, same old. Most of the interviews follow a similar pattern, and I've been doing it for about ten years now. That's why I eventually left Forbes to go it alone. I needed the challenge. I wanted to dig deeper, but always came across the same resistance from the leaders of commerce and industry. Creatives; on the other hand, are quite a different breed. They're original thinkers, generally see life in a different way, like the people in your book, 'Right out of Left-Field,' they're not necessarily money driven."

Curtis stopped. "Look at this Jake." He'd been so wrapped up in his thoughts, or in conversation he hadn't noticed the ground gently sloping away. Through the trees, Jake could see a multitude of sun-filled jewelled reflections glistening on the sea. Curtis was a diamond among many lesser stones in this world of pressure cooker finance and competitive backstabbing, thought Jake.

They turned and started to make their way back up the slope when he noticed Curtis limping again. "I saw you hobbling earlier today," he pointed out. "Is everything okay?"

"One leg a couple of inches shorter than the other, old boy. Not a whole heap I can do about it. I jokingly call it my war wound. It's a permanent reminder of life's imperfections; I like to think."

"You're a similar age to Anya," he said. "Did you know her when she was at the University of Columbia, or come to that fact, me when I was a lecturer there?"

"No, must have just missed you both, although she looks familiar, maybe I knew her at Jefferson High, my previous school. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, no particular reason. You might have noticed that there's a considerable age difference between us. I'm forty-eight, while she's thirty-four, and having similar aged friends around is good for her, I think she feels quite isolated up here out of town, I think your being around the place gets her out of herself. You know what I mean?"

What was he implying, "I think so."

"I mean, you seemed to be getting along like a house on fire when I came back earlier."

Ah, I get it, poor man! I feel sorry for the guy. Maybe good at recognising his sensitivity, but when it comes to others, including his wife, it appears he's quite oblivious to what's going on around him. Yeah, right, we were really getting on. I guess if you liken 'getting on' to 'a house on fire' then, yeah, we are the best of 'flaming' buddies. 

"Well, I think it helps to come from her hometown," he said, adding this trivial fact. "Yes, I can see you being a good friend for her."

"Are you getting ready to leave honey?" He called out, as we walked back into the house.

"Okay then, see you later Jake. Keep an eye on her," he joked. "I don't want her getting up to any mischief making."

Too right I will! Jake thought.