Chapter 2

Jake lay motionless, staring up at the ceiling. 

Mercedes stirred and turned to face him. She stretched and yawned, sliding her arms under the pillow. The softness always reassured her. She looked across at him; he looked thoughtful, "What are you thinking about?"

He propped himself up on his side and faced her. "I'm trying to figure out how I can persuade Curtis Neumann into giving me consent to giving me an interview."

She scowled at him, throwing her arms on the bed in a huff. "Oh, that's just typical," she retorted grimacing. "Always thinking of the next big fish to lure into your net, just when you're faced with a romantic moment! Of course, why change the habit of a lifetime? It's about par for the course!"

"That's unfair, look, you wanted to know what I was thinking! Sometimes you make me out to be some egotistical maniac!"

Mercedes stroked her chin, feigning a frown. "Hmm, egotistical maniac... yes, you could be onto something there. Look there was a time when you would have thought of me first, but love seems to have taken a bit of a backward step recently. In fact ... no, I'll modify that, our relationship has taken a backward step! And I for one am getting tired of being treated like some convenience, always on tap for your instant gratification!" She said trying to control her anger. "Well, so that you know this 'convenience' is giving you notice. Either face up to the reality of the situation, or suffer the consequences," and with that, she threw back the covers, leapt out of the bed, and slammed the door behind her.

He fell back stunned, wearing a bemused expression. No sooner had he replied he'd received a mouthful, he thought exasperated. Two years I've given to this relationship - two years! And where's it got me? Nowhere, that's where!

Okay, so l wasn't the best lover in the world, or the most attentive one come to think of it, but when did she ever have to worry about money? Which is just as well, because in the time I've known her she must have had ten acting assignments playing bit parts, with more time spent out of work than in it! No, if it weren't for me she'd be out on the streets by now. Work has to come first. She is the one who would suffer the consequences if l didn't generate the headline-grabbing journalism which brought the money in.

He hauled himself out of bed, got dressed, splashed some water on his face, and went downstairs to be met by a stony silence as he entered the kitchen. He glanced at Mercedes; her eyes were swollen red from crying. Her dark hair lay matted and unkempt about her head. Her whole persona looked dishevelled as if she'd given up caring about her appearance.

Feeling guilty, he ignored their fight and attempted to smooth things over with an offer to make breakfast. "Over easy?" He said forcing a smile.

"I guess," she replied in a monotone voice, sipping her coffee without looking up.

He repeated his thoughts out loud. "Look, I know you're upset with me, but the work I bring in keeps the roof over our heads and puts food on the table. Because of me, we're able to keep the 'wolf from the door' while you're free to realise your dream of becoming an actress... It's not always easy you know." He finished off by lifting the pan and delivering the egg onto her plate alongside bacon, refried beans, and hash browns.

She pushed her food around. "I know it can't always be easy for you trying to find work in a cut throat environment, and it's not easy for me either, but it just feels too much, and I feel alone with it all sometimes."

"Look Merc, if I can convince Curtis Neumann to do this interview, I'll be setup for the future, and the pressure will be off your trying to make a go of it as an actress," he said, as he sat down beside her.

Exasperated she retorts, "What do you mean, 'make a go of it!' It's more than a job, Jake; it's something I want to do. I have to prove to myself that I've got what it takes. I'm passionate about it for God's sake. It's what gets me up in the morning. It's my dream!"

"Okay, okay," Jake said holding his hands up in submission. "What I meant was you could relax, I could relax, knowing we didn't have to worry where the next paycheck's coming from."

"Sometimes, I think you just don't understand me, or can't be bothered more like," she replied. "If you got a regular job, instead of chasing this self-employed pipe dream you wouldn't have to rely on selling articles for money. We'd have an ordinary income."

"Hey! That's unfair..." replied Jake.

"Anyway, what makes this interview with Curtis Neumann so special?"

"Because he doesn't give interviews full-stop. That's why getting an interview would be a major scoop!"

"What, is he a bit of a recluse?"

"Not really, but I know he's a damn good writer, though!"

"He is, what's he written?"

"Do you know, 'I Dreamt I Woke Up', or 'A Simple Twist of Fate'?"

She nodded.

"Well, it was this guy, Curtis Neumann. He's been on the New York Times international bestseller list for the last two years, but no one has been able to get an interview with him!"

"So, what makes you think you'll succeed where so many have failed?"

"I don't know," said Jake sticking his chest out, looking smug. "I just like to entertain the thought that, because it's me..."

"What about you?" She said cutting him off. "Not with that attitude you won't. He probably won't be able to stand the stench of your odorous alter ego!"

Jake smirked. "Oh yes, very funny... well, there's no harm in trying."

"That's what I'm trying to tell you. If you go in with that cocky attitude, you will die from trying before he grants you an interview. So, for both our sakes think about your approach beforehand."

"You know, you're becoming a might bit bossy lately, I have done this before you know, and you say I'm the one with the attitude problem. Have you taken a look in the mirror lately?"

Mercedes held her head in her hands, "Okay, okay, let's not go over old ground yet again. You've made your point."

He took a deep breath, and sighed. "Look, I've been in this game ten years now, I know the boardwalk inside out. I realise that it's been forced labour, but I've got a feeling that now it's my time to shine!"