Chapter One

"Hi Madelyn. I'm Mrs. Waters! Your kindergarten teacher!" I remember a cheery fat old lady saying to me as I entered the kindergarten room for the first time.

"Hello." I had said politely. She introduced me to the class. I can remember all their names. Mostly because we still go to school together.

"Hi, I'm Cody." A little boy with blonde hair and blue eyes said to me as I was playing with some blocks.

"Hi." I said shyly.

"Can I play with you?" He had asked.

"No." I said. He then kicked me in the leg and I started crying. This is how Cody Simpson and I became best friends.

------------------------------

(About 10 years later)

"So are you and Nick going out later?" Tiffany Loft, one of my best girl friends asked.

"Of course. He just won sophomore class president. He's going to borrow his dad's car and we're going to see The Lucky One at the drive-in." I told the short, artistic girl who had a black bob, named Tiffany.

"Romantic!" The tall, athletic girl with her long blonde hair in french braid, named Giana Hoplyn, who was also one of my best girl friends, said.

"I know! Jess gave me the idea." I said crediting another best girl friend. Jessica Deland, a red head, short, and an amazing dancer.

"Taking all credit possible right now!" Jess said. Her hair was in a tight bun at the back of her head. She had dance practice later, obviously.

"Madelyn Johnson and Nick Daniels. Next years homecoming queen and king." Giana said being a smart ass.

"They have to get through the last month of school and summer first." Tiffany pointed out.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" I said.

"Well, we all know that Jake Henderson has been eyeing you since you made varsity basketball and you're the prettiest freshman girl." Giana said. I guess I'm pretty. I have long brown hair and I'm a medium height. I sing and play sports.

"Uh, no. But, so?" I questioned.

"C'mon Maddie. Jake is the hottest guy in this high school. He's going to be a junior next year. That means you get privileges that sophomores don't get. Plus, you get his jersey on game days and get to cheer him on at the football and basketball games." Jess said. She always had the explanation. For everything.

"And, you're Jake Henderson's girlfriend. That is the equivalent to be the freaking queen of england here." Tiffany said.

"Guys, why is all of this true?" I said sitting down at a lunch table.

"Girl, break it off. Don't waste your time on a freaking class president when you have a hunk like Jake falling for you." Giana said.

"After the drive-in." I said.

-------------------------------

I felt so bad going to the drive-in with Nick. He looked so happy. I tried to pretend like everything was fine. Playing along, holding hands, sharing food. All the regular stuff we do. But then when he leaned in for the kiss, it was like a brick hit me in the face. The drive-in wasn't too far away from Giana's house. All the girls were there so I just walked out of the car and ran. Five miles all the way to Giana's. I walked in, took a shower, and hung out with my girls all night. I hadn't felt free in a long time.

--------------------------------

I woke up to ten missed calls, and fifteen texts. All from Nick. I texted him that I couldn't date him anymore. He was holding me back from doing things that I wanted and it would be best for us if a big deal wasn't made about it.

News gets around fast at Gold Coast High. Nick and I had broken up officially on Saturday and it felt like everyone in the school knew on Monday. I was walking to first period when I heard someone call my name.

"Maddie!" They yelled. I turned around to see Jake walking towards me.

"Hey, Jake." I said pretending to be confused.

"Hey, I was going to text you Friday about this pick-up game at the park but I didn't have your number.." He said taking out his phone.

"Oh, um, yeah my number is.." I told him my number.

"Okay. Thanks. I'll, uh, text you later?" He said running his hand through his short brown hair.

"Yeah." I said almost out of breath. He was just so freaking attractive.

-------------------------------

"Oh my god. He said that?!" Tiffany exclaimed.

"Yeah." I said smiling.

"Smart move Mr. Henderson, smart move." Giana said. We all broke out into laughter. Lunch was my favorite part of the day. All of us sat together at a table and just talked and ate. Two of my favorite things. We have this system at Gold Coast High where there are two lunches. Luckily we all somehow got in the same one. Jake and most of his jock friends were also in that lunch. The cafeteria is the only place you can use your phone in the building that it won't get confiscated.

"Guys!" I screamed lightly.

"What?" They asked.

"Jake just texted me." The screaming began. I quickly looked over to where Jake usually sits and he was cracking up.

Jake: Hey Maddie(:

Maddie: Hii(:

Jake: Sup?

Maddie: Nothing really, just watching you laugh at me and my friends. :p

Jake: I was not laughing at you! (;

Maddie: Oh suree(;

Jake: Okay, maybe I was.. only a little bit though. (:

Maddie: Someone's a liar! (;

Jake: Yep, I'm a big fat liar! (;

Maddie: You should apologize. ;p

Jake: I'm sorry for being a liar. /:

Maddie: That's not an apology.

Jake: Then what is?

Maddie: Standing up randomly on your table and screaming to the whole cafeteria that you're sorry for being a liar! ;p

Just then Jake stood up on his table and screamed to the whole cafeteria that he was sorry for being a liar. I think I started crying because I was laughing so hard.

"Was that good enough for you Maddie?" Jake yelled over after sitting back down. Now everyone was looking at me. I was still laughing. All I could do was laugh.

"Hey, Maddie, wait up." I heard Jake yell.

"See you guys in class." I told my friends and they gave me a look that I just can't even describe.

"Can I walk you to class?" Jake asked holding his arm out.

"Sure?" I said taking his arm. All of a sudden he started skipping down the hall and singing 'We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz!' I went along with it. I was laughing so hard I seriously could not breathe.

"Well this is my class." I said.

"Okay, I'll text you." He said.

"Not in class though! I'm not one of those badasses that can text without getting caught." I said. He laughed.

"Okay, bye." He said smiling.

"Bye!" I also said smiling. I walked into the classroom where the girls were waiting for the details.

What did you think? Cody will be coming in soon! Don't worry! Comment, Vote, Like, Add to Library, and Become A Fan! (: